Are you obsessed with personal electronics? If you are like me, you can’t get enough of big screen televisions, speakers, computers, MP3 players, and much more. Of course, there is one problem with this obsession: it can cost a lot of money. I know from firsthand experience that spending thousands of dollars on personal electronics is more than possible.
Over the past couple of years, I have found that buying personal electronics online at least softens the financial blow of purchasing electronics. There are a couple of key reasons for this: lower prices and bigger selection. You might be against the idea of making such big purchases online, but do your research ahead of time at brick and mortar stores, and then buy online once you know exactly what you want. The savings will be substantial.
Here are several of the best online stores for personal electronics, as well as some information on why I love buying from them:
1. Amazon.com. This is one of my favorite online stores, regardless of what I am buying. With electronics, Amazon always has what I want in stock. In fact, I have never gone to the site looking for something just to find that they are sold out. Along with a large selection of always in-stock inventory, Amazon prices are among the best of the best. If you want to save money on personal electronics, this is the place for you. There are also hundreds of reviews on various products to help aid you in making your decision.
Side note: I really love the customer service at Amazon. Whether I call or email with a basic question about a specific product, I always receive timely, accurate answers. They also are great with reimbursing you for damaged products or products that never arrived.
2. BestBuy.com. As you probably know, Best Buy has brick and mortar stores from one coast of the United States to the other, all with awesome, helpful employees. What you may not know is that their online experience is every bit as enjoyable. Just like Amazon, they feature a large selection of items. And depending on when you shop, I have also found that BestBuy.com offers some of the largest discounts in the industry.
Perhaps the number one benefit of buying from Best Buy online is the shipping time. Even when they tell me that it will take 7-10 days for my item to arrive, it always shows up on my doorstep a few days early. This is something I love when buying online at some of these top online stores. Who wants to wait several weeks or longer for their new toy?
3. TigerDirect.com. For televisions and computers, this online store is the place to be. Most people are well aware of Amazon.com and Best Buy. Not so many have a grip on what TigerDirect.com has to offer.
Hands down, the number one benefit of shopping at TigerDirect.com is the selection. In addition to this, there is a “top selling products” feature on the site. This is a great tool for consumers who don’t really know what they want. I must admit, I always check the top sellers before making a final decision. I like to know what others are buying.
Additionally, TigerDirect.com has some of the best product descriptions around. No matter what you are interested in, you will have access to plenty of product information.
4. Newegg.com. This is one of the most “unique” stores when it comes to buying electronics online. In terms of benefits, there is none bigger than the fact that Newegg carries over 35,000 products. No matter what you are shopping for, you’re likely to find your product in their inventory. My personal favorite feature is the Home Theater section.
Did you know that Newegg is the second biggest online-only retailer in the US second only to Amazon?
5. JR.com. If you live in New York City, you may be familiar with the J&R stores located there. But did you know that their online store is every bit as popular? I have never laid foot in the brick and mortar stores, but I love shopping at JR.com. One thing I have learned about the site over the years is that the selection is good, but the prices are even better. In addition to “weekend sales,” they also offer “deals of the day.” At the time of writing, the weekend sale was a $949.99 HP computer for $799.99. If you are like me, these types of savings will keep you coming back time and time again. JR.com also offers great deals on headphones and surround sound systems.
6. Buy.com. Forget about electronics for a second. If you are interested in shopping online, regardless of the item, there is a good chance that Buy.com can help you out. On the electronics front, they offer a selection that appears to be every bit as big as Amazon.com.
The main reason I use Buy.com, though, is the fact that you can shop for both new and used items at the same time. As you know, buying used can save you money. And in many cases you do not have to give up anything in terms of the overall condition. Just like Amazon.com, Buy.com helps find the best used price available.
There is nothing wrong with shopping at a local store for personal electronics. I still do this from time to time. But if you really want to get the best deal at the lowest possible price, you should definitely consider the online world of retail, including the six stores mentioned here.
What’s your favorite online retail store to shop at for your electronics?