So, you’re pulling an all-nighter to get your taxes done? The worst thing you can do is make a mistake that you don’t catch. Your cramming efforts will be washed away with one mistake. Here are some things to remember if you’re one of those procrastinators rushing to get your taxes filed by the end of tomorrow.
- Be sure to fill in your social securiity number. The IRS only identifies you by your SSN.
- Sign and date your return. Make sure both you and your spouse sign it if you file jointly.
- If you owe money, make sure you send a check or money that is made out to “United States Treasury” and NOT “IRS”
- Run through your deductions and credits one last time and make sure you qualify for them.
- Make sure you’re taking the correct amount of exemptions. Don’t forget to include yourself!
Okay, I just realized that many of these tips are for those of you that will paper file. But honestly, if you’re reading this blog right now, why would you not efile? Filing electronically is so easy and it will save you a lot of time. The best part about is that you won’t have to fight mobs of crowds at the post office. I know some of you have taxes too complicated to file online, but many software/web applications can handle many complex situations. Good luck, and don’t hurt anyone while trying to muscle your way through the post office crowds!