See also our review of the regular version: Chase Marriott Rewards Credit Card Review
Savvy travelers maximize their membership in loyalty programs. By focusing their travel expenses on a particular brand, consumers can multiply the rewards they receive, and earn free travel and other perks. In addition to earning points with airlines’ rewards programs, earning points in hotel programs can make your trips much more comfortable.
Marriott offers its Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature Card from Chase to allow guests to leverage their hotel stays and their credit card spending to earn valuable rewards from this chain of hotels.
- Earn Marriott Rewards Points. Cardholders earn five points per dollar charged at Marriott hotels, including incidental charges. Charging airfare, restaurants, and rental car expenses to this card earns two points per dollar, with a single point per dollar earned for all other purchases.
- Sign-up Bonus. New card members receive 50,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 in the first three months as well as one free night stay at a category 1-4 hotel after account approval. This can equate to as many as seven free nights at a Marriott-owned hotel (Category 1).
- Elite Credits. Customers receive 15 night credits each year towards Elite status in Marriott’s program. They also receive another night’s credit for every $3,000 charged to the card.
- Additional Free Nights. In addition to the award credits you earn with the sign-up bonus, card members receive a certificate for a free night’s stay every year upon renewal.
- Annual Fee. This card has a $85 annual fee that is waived the first year.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees. Unlike other credit cards from Chase, this card has entirely eliminated foreign transaction fees, which is typically an additional 3% on all charges processed outside of the United States. The card also has Smart Chip Technology, which is accepted globally.
- Great Sign-up Benefits. 50,000 bonus points and a certificate for a free night’s stay are worth several hundred dollars.
- Make Elite Faster. By earning night stay credits without actually staying at a hotel, cardholders will get closer to reaching the higher tiers in Marriott’s program. Earning elite status entitles you to free breakfasts, complimentary Internet service, and late checkouts.
- Double Points. By offering double points on airfare, restaurants, and rental cars, Marriott and Chase have focused on the major categories of business travel spending and rewarding customers for using this card.
- Free Night Certificate Every Year. Many travel rewards cards have no annual fee. However, Chase and Marriott make the annual fee worth something by giving cardholders a free night’s certificate worth more than the fee.
- Many Award Redemption Opportunities. Marriott hotels include less expensive hotels like ExecuStay, Fairfield Inn & Suites, SpringHill Suites, and TownePlace Suites. The Marriott chain of hotels also includes higher-end hotels like Courtyard, JW Marriott, Marriott Vacation Club, Renaissance Hotels, and Residence Inn.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees. Although many other Chase cards still include foreign transaction fees, the Chase Marriott Rewards Premier has recently removed them. This is a great perk for international travelers.
- Uncompetitive Redemption Rates. Award stays in Marriott’s loyalty program start at 7,000 points per night, and go up to 40,000 for their high-end properties. Other programs offer free stays for fewer points.
- Restricted Award Nights. While Marriott’s program does not have any blackout dates, it does have capacity controls that limit award availability, just like frequent flyer programs. Competing hotel chains such as Hilton, Intercontinental, and Starwood hotels do not have blackout dates or capacity controls.
- High Interest Rate. Reward credit cards always have a higher interest rate than other cards. If you plan to carry a balance, look for cards with low APRs.
In the quest to earn as many points and miles as possible, it helps to leave no stone unturned. Using a hotel rewards card like this one allows you to complement a free airline ticket with a hotel stay award, eliminating the largest expenses from your next vacation. With a large sign up bonus, and competitive rewards for credit card spending, you can enjoy the benefits of using this card for your domestic travels.
Do you have a Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature Card from Chase? How has your experience been so far?