Money Crashers has been around for about four years now, so all of my close friends and family know about my passion for personal finance, and I get quite a few questions from close friends and family about their own finances. I really don’t mind helping the ones closest to me. Most of the “advice” that I give is common sense, and I don’t get too technical with my recommendations, because I’m not licensed properly to give certain financial advice. Flexo, from Consumerism Commentary, recently ran an article about how to handle requests for financial advice. I really liked his advice about being careful to jump into financial conversations with acquaintances such as co-workers, and I also liked that he advised not to lend money to friends or family to solve their financial problems, because usually the problem isn’t money. The problem is the decisions they make and the bad financial habits they’ve formed. If you’ve never checked out Consumerism Commentary, it’s one of the top personal finance sites that I’ve been following since 2006.
Other great articles to check out from the past week:
- Make and Save Money By Getting Rid Of Your Junk. I am a huge proponent of not being a pack rat. My wife and I use the rule of thumb that if we haven’t needed it or thought about it in the past year, then we obviously don’t need it. Depending on what it is, we’ll either sell it or give it away. [Free Money Finance]
- When Will I Get My Tax Refund and What If The Check Amount Is Wrong? These are questions we all have during tax time! [Five Cent Nickel]
- The Art of Saying “No”. I am the worst at saying “no” to people, because I am a people pleaser, but sometimes my time is too valuable, and I end up doing things that I shouldn’t get involved in. I also need to learn to say “no” to myself when I see a new gadget that I really like! [Frugal Dad]
- How To Turn Your Failures Into Opportunities. Over the past few years, I’ve trained myself to become less fearful of failure. If I give everything, but I still fail, I can learn a lot from that experience. This article does a good job at teaching you how to turn those failures into opportunities. [Christian PF]
- 16 Things Your Lawyer Won’t Tell You. It’s so easy to be charged too much from a lawyer, and you need to treat their services like you would any other purchase. This article will equip you with some information to help you save money when in need of an attorney. [Wisebread]
- 8 Tips For Protecting Your Credit Information While Shopping Online. I don’t think about this stuff enough, so I thought I would share it with you all. [Gen X Finance]
Don’t forget to Follow Us On Twitter and Become Our Fan on Facebook. Also, if you haven’t entered our latest giveaway, we’re giving away 3 FREE iPads for those of you that file your taxes with one of our partners! Do you know any other PF blogs giving away iPads? I don’t think so! Enter the giveaway here.