About · Press · Contact · Write For Us · Top Personal Finance Blogs
Featured In:

Tax Considerations For Self-Employed Income

By Erik Folgate


I was talking with one of my best friends today, and he was asking for my opinion about SEP retirement accounts, and how he can reduce the taxes taken from the self-employed income he earns throughout the year. He does some public speaking and lectures that earn him some side income throughout the year, and he noticed that the money he made in 2008 was taxed at about a 30% rate. He was asking me if it was wise to open a SEP account and contribute the maximum amount to it in order to reduce his taxable self-employment income. There are a few things to consider here…

Why is he being charged a 30% tax rate for his self-employed income?

If you believe that you will owe more than $1,000 in taxes due to self-employment income, the IRS requiires you to file quarterly estimates for your taxes. If you do not file quarterly estimates and your tax liability from extra self-employed income exceeds $1,000, the IRS will impose an 8 to 9% tax penalty on top of the taxes owed. If he was in a 15% income tax bracket with 8% SSN and Medicare taxes and an 8% tax penalty, that that’s a 31% tax liability! Yikes!

If this is you, then you should file a 1040-ES form with the federal government by April 15th of the current year, June 15th, September 15th and April 15th of the following year. Estimate any tax deductions and credits that you think you will take for the year, then calculate your estimates quarterly tax based on your adjusted gross income after deductions and credits. If this is side business income, it shouldn’t be hard to do, but if your self-employed income is the main source of income in your household, you should definitely pay a good accountant to help you file your quarterly returns. Don’t worry though, if you overestimate, you can claim the remaining back in your refund the following year.

SEP Accounts

A SEP Account (Simplified Employee Pension plans), is primarily used for small business owners who want to set up a retirement plan for themselves and their small amount of employees at a reduced cost with less red tape. It’s a better solution for small business owners to start a SEP plan to contribute to their own account and offer an added benefit to their employees. My friend has an EIN number, so he had a good idea of opening up a separate bank account, placing all side income into that account, and then contributing “pre-tax” dollars to the SEP account before he files his quarterly returns. SEP accounts allow employers to contribute up to 25% of their income per account holder. I explained to him that this is a decent short-term solution, because it helps reduce the amount of his self-employed taxable income, but it should not be his primary retirement account. I like ROTH IRA’s, because they take after-tax dollars, and the withdrawals are not taxed at retirement. Any professional whose income will continue to rise as they age, should always try to set up retirement money so it is taxed early on in life at a lower tax bracket rather than later on in life when he or she could be in a much higher tax bracket.

I am not an accountant, so please consult a qualified CPA before you make any tax decisions about self-employment income.

Erik Folgate
Erik and his wife, Lindzee, live in Orlando, Florida with a baby boy on the way. Erik works as an account manager for a marketing company, and considers counseling friends, family and the readers of Money Crashers his personal ministry to others. Erik became passionate about personal finance and helping others make wise financial decisions after racking up over $20k in credit card and student loan debt within the first two years of college.

Related Articles

  • http://www.msmoneysavvy.com savvy

    Your friend should note that there is a specific calculation to be used when determining SEP-IRA contributions. It isn’t 25% of gross income. That said, it can be a great tool for small business owners. However, depending on your friend’s revenue, s/he may want to consider other options such as a solo 401(k).

The content on MoneyCrashers.com is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as professional financial advice. Should you need such advice, consult a licensed financial or tax advisor. References to products, offers, and rates from third party sites often change. While we do our best to keep these updated, numbers stated on this site may differ from actual numbers. We may have financial relationships with some of the companies mentioned on this website. Among other things, we may receive free products, services, and/or monetary compensation in exchange for featured placement of sponsored products or services. We strive to write accurate and genuine reviews and articles, and all views and opinions expressed are solely those of the authors.

Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from credit card companies from which MoneyCrashers.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site, including, for example, the order in which they appear on category pages. MoneyCrashers.com does not include all credit card companies or all available credit card offers, although best efforts are made to include a comprehensive list of offers regardless of compensation. Advertiser partners include American Express, U.S. Bank, and Barclaycard, among others.