There are plenty of free antivirus software programs available, but they won’t provide your computer with comprehensive protection. And unfortunately, many paid software programs will decrease the performance of your personal computer. Purchasing the more popular brand name antivirus programs can cause issues, too. VIPRE Antivirus software is a comprehensive antivirus solution that’s well worth a look.
VIPRE (Virus Intrusion Protection Remediation Engine) is designed to optimize the overall performance of your home computer by combining antivirus and anti-spyware together into one powerful tool. This combination of technologies makes it easier to protect your PC from hackers and identity thieves. VIPRE also provides powerful protection against today’s highly complex malware threats. Finally, since the software doesn’t take up a lot of space, the resource headaches caused by the older antivirus programs aren’t a problem with VIPRE.
There are many features and benefits of VIPRE Antivirus:
- Easy Installation. It took some time to install the software, but the directions for installation were very easy to follow.
- Unified. VIPRE combines an antivirus program with anti-spyware for comprehensive protection.
- Comprehensive. VIPRE provides protection against viruses, worms, trojans, root kits, and spyware.
- Additional Tools. VIPRE also comes with additional tools including a secure file eraser, history cleaner, and PC explorer.
- User-Friendly. VIPRE comes with an easy-to-navigate user interface.
- Won’t Slow Down Your Computer. It’s safe to say that the more “stuff” you have on your computer, the slower it runs. VIPRE gives you high performance software that doesn’t use many system resources, so it won’t slow down your PC.
Although I think VIPRE has a lot of potential, there are some negatives that you should be aware of:
- Slow Installation. The installation of VIPRE on my computer took more than fifteen minutes. If you use your computer as much as I do, the time to install VIPRE can be a nuisance.
- Customer Support. VIPRE does not provide 24-hour customer support. Alternatively, the company offers telephone support Monday through Friday from 9 am to 6 pm (EST). If you have an issue over the weekend, you’ll need to send them an email and wait for a response.
- Compatibility. If you have an older PC (especially one with a single core processor), it is liable to run much slower during VIPRE updates.
- Additional Technical Issues. VIPRE scans will create temporary files on your computer that should be automatically deleted when the scan is finished. However, sometimes these files are not automatically deleted and you’ll have to do this manually. These temporary files can cause your computer to run slowly.
- May Not Protect Against Newer Malware. The consensus in many online reviews is that the software may not be able to block or remove newer versions of malware. However, VIPRE will of course work to provide the necessary software updates to account for these new forms of malware.
Packages and Pricing
VIPRE Antivirus offers packages and pricing for personal and business use:
- CounterSpy. This is basically a watered-down version of VIPRE, and I do not recommend the software. It comes with anti-spyware protection and real-time active protection. Purchase Price: $19.95.
- VIPRE. This option gives you what CounterSpy does, and also certified antivirus protection, email virus protection, and root kit detection and removal. A root kit is something that allows hackers administrator-level access to a computer. Purchase Price: $29.95.
- VIPRE Premium. This package gives you everything in the previous option, along with a desktop firewall, intrusion prevention, ad blocking, malicious website blocking, script blocking, and referral and cookie blocking. Purchase Price: $39.95.
- VIPRE Business. This option contains comprehensive protection suitable for a business. It utilizes a high-speed threat scanning engine that can scan large volumes of information for malware threats in a short period of time with limited performance impact on the end-user’s machine. You will need to request a quote for VIPRE Business.
It’s important to do your homework before choosing an antivirus software program. I learned the hard way that using a free version of an antivirus program is not reliable or dependable. Selecting one of the better-known antivirus brands may not be the best choice either; it’s extremely difficult to uninstall Norton from a PC, for example.
Take the time to find out which antivirus program is best for you. VIPRE Antivirus is easy to use and offers users comprehensive antivirus and anti-spyware protection. You can try a free 30-day trial for any of the versions listed in this review. I signed up for the 30-day VIPRE Premium trial, and the software is a strong contender for my antivirus program of choice.
Have you had any direct experience with VIPRE? What has your experience been like and how well does it protect against threats to your computer?