What are the best Bitcoin IRA companies?
Fast-forward to today, and there are dozens of Bitcoin retirement accounts available, with full-featured trading and a host of other cryptocurrencies you can invest in. Putting crypto in a tax-sheltered account has tons of advantages, but where is the best place to open a Bitcoin retirement account?
We’ve reviewed nearly a dozen of the top Bitcoin IRA companies to find the best of the best based on ease of use, reputation, security, and more. Here are the top Bitcoin IRA companies available today.
The Best Bitcoin IRA Companies
Our top pick for the best Bitcoin IRA company, Bitcoin IRA, offers access to Bitcoin and dozens of other crypto, 24/7 trading, and fully-insured cold storage of digital assets.
The other apps on this list stand out for one or two key features, like low fees or outstanding customer service.
Best Overall: Bitcoin IRA
Bitcoin IRA is the original retirement account for crypto enthusiasts, and is the best overall Bitcoin IRA company, offering access to dozens of cryptocurrency, around-the-clock trading, and institutional-quality security.
Here are a few of the key features of Bitcoin IRA:
- 24/7 Crypto Trading. Users can log in and trade crypto within the IRA account at any time with a fully-functioning marketplace and access to intuitive trading tools.
- Access to 60+ Cryptocurrencies. Bitcoin IRA offers more than Bitcoin, allowing you to invest in other popular cryptocurrencies, such as Ethereum, Cardano, and Dogecoin.
- $700 Million in Asset Insurance. All customer assets are held in cold storage with a $700 million insurance policy against theft or fraud.
- Robust Security. Bitcoin IRA employs end-to-end data encryption via SSL, as well as BitGo digital wallets that have received the SOC 2 Type 2 security certification.
- Low Minimums. Bitcoin IRA offers a standard IRA account that requires a $3,000 minimum deposit, but the Saver IRA only requires an initial deposit of $100 as long as you set up a recurring monthly $100 deposit from a linked bank account.
Bitcoin IRA does charge setup fees as well as possible ongoing account fees, but these vary by customer and rates are only available by calling a representative to set up an account. There are also trading fees of 2% for both buying and selling crypto.
Best for Low Fees: iTrust Capital
iTrust Capital is a simple-to-use retirement account that offers low trading fees and access to over two-dozen cryptocurrencies to invest inside of an IRA.
Here are a few of the key features of iTrust Capital:
- Low Fees. iTrust Capital has no account maintenance fees and only charges 1% per trade, which is relatively low for a crypto IRA account. Gold and silver spot buys also have fixed-fee pricing as well.
- Low Minimums. Whereas some Bitcoin IRA accounts require up to a $10,000 initial deposit, iTrust Capital only requires $1,000 to open an account.
- Assets Are Insured. iTrust Capital uses a third-party custodian to store all digital assets, which offers cold storage with insurance against theft or fraud.
- Both market and conditional orders available
- Can rollover other retirement accounts to iTrust Capital
- Access to gold and silver investments
- 24/7 trading
Best for Security: BitIRA
BitIRA is a secure Bitcoin IRA account that offers end-to-end security of your coins and insurance that covers any loss due to theft or fraud. BitIRA goes to great lengths to protect your funds as well as your data.
Here are a few of the key features of BitIRA:
- Cold Storage. BitIRA keeps all user funds in cold storage facilities. But not just any cold storage, it is kept locked-down in grade-5 nuclear bunkers, monitored and guarded 24/7 by specialist staff. Whoa.
- End-to-End Crypto Insurance. BitIRA carries $100 million in insurance that covers your coins during transfers as well as in cold storage. If theft or hacks result in stolen funds, no matter where in the process, BitIRA covers this. It also covers loss due to embezzlement, physical loss, or destruction of the hardware containing your coins.
- CCSS Compliant. BitIRA is one of the few custodians that comply with the Level 2 CryptoCurrency Security Standards (CCSS).
- Access to 15+ digital assets (in addition to Bitcoin)
- Traditional, SEP, SIMPLE, and Roth IRA accounts available
- Account rollovers available
- No trading available; each IRA can only hold one cryptocurrency
Best for Customer Service: CoinIRA
CoinIRA is a user-friendly Bitcoin IRA provider that offers exceptional customer service, with access to customer service representatives and retirement account specialists by phone or email.
Here are a few of the key features of CoinIRA :
- Phone Support. CoinIRA has customer support agents available by phone Monday through Friday, 7am to 7pm PST. Saturday and Sunday calls are also available by appointment.
- Email and Chat Support. In addition to phone support, you can reach the customer service team via email or live chat during business hours as well. In our quick test, the chat team was responsive and very helpful.
- Low Fees. Coin IRA offers low trading fees (1.25% for buys, 1% for sells) and no account maintenance fees.
- Access to 15+ digital assets (including Ethereum)
- Non-IRA accounts available
- Insured cold storage of your assets
- Crypto trading platform available
Best for Self-Directed IRA: Broad Financial
Here are a few key features of Broad Financial:
- Access to Tons of Assets. In addition to cryptocurrencies, self-directed IRAs allow you to invest in businesses, real estate, and other assets.
- No Transaction Fees. Although there is a one-time setup fee and annual account fee, Broad Financial does not charge transaction fees for any trading within the account.
- Self Custody. You can choose which exchange to trade on within the account, and can even take custody of your Bitcoin with the digital wallet of your choice.
- Access to any crypto exchange, with hundreds of crypto to choose from
- Checkbook writing privileges available
- Assets protected in an LLC or trust
- Traditional and Roth IRAs available
Methodology: How We Select the Best Bitcoin IRA Companies
We evaluated over a dozen Bitcoin IRA companies using five key metrics to find the best options for our readers.
Because crypto hacks have exploited billions of dollars over the years, security is a top priority for every platform we evaluate. And choosing to invest in more than just Bitcoin helped us find platforms that offer multiple cryptocurrencies, including some with the ability to trade within the account. And fees can hurt any investment account, so finding low-fee options was a must.
Overall, companies with the most features and user-friendly platforms ranked better in our methodology.
Out of the Bitcoin IRA companies we evaluated, it was imperative that there was adequate insurance on custodial funds and that all Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies were stored offline.
As a relatively new and often misunderstood digital asset, crypto is highly susceptible to online theft. Our picks all keep digital assets in cold storage vaults (except in the case of self custodial solutions), disconnected from the internet.
We also only selected licensed and regulated businesses in the U.S. because compliance with federal regulations is a must for retirement accounts. And data security means that websites and trading platforms use end-to-end encryption and extra layers of security such as two-factor authentication.
Fees can eat into any investment. With cryptocurrency trading, fees can range from below 1% to as high as 5% for some crypto exchanges. We found investment accounts that offered reasonable fee structures, as well as low trading fees for users.
Although some Bitcoin IRA companies do not provide public fee information, you can get the fee details by contacting their team directly. They’ll spell out everything before you sign up for an account.
Most of these companies offer trading fees of 2% or less, and some even offer no account maintenance fees.
With any financial account, it’s important to be able to get help when you need it. We only selected companies with adequate help documentation and a customer service team available to answer any questions.
Some of these companies offer more hands-on customer service, such as live chat and phone support, while others offer email support and ticketing systems to help resolve issues.
Bitcoin is still king, but with the growth of the crypto industry has come more investment options in high-quality cryptocurrencies. All the companies we featured here offer more than just Bitcoin, with some offering access to 50+ cryptocurrencies.
Still other companies offer access to assets outside of crypto, including gold and silver, as well as alternative assets in self-directed accounts (such as real estate).
Investing is hard enough without having to struggle through an unusable investment platform. We evaluated the user experience for each IRA company, including the onboarding process, user interface, and customer support to ensure a good experience.
All companies on our list have onboarding documentation to help new users get acquainted with the platform. And each of them offers an intuitive user experience to set up and fund an IRA account.
Bitcoin IRA Company FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Investing in Bitcoin within a retirement account is a bit more complicated than snapping up crypto in a normal account, but not by much. You may have a few questions on how the whole thing works. Here are answers to some of the most common questions about Bitcoin IRAs.
Are Bitcoin IRAs Safe?
Yes. Bitcoin IRA companies are regulated businesses that are required to be a custodian of your retirement funds. Most of these companies do this by outsourcing the storage and insurance of your cryptocurrency to reputable third-party companies that offer institution-level custodial services and hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance.
That being said, any online product is susceptible to scams and hacks, and it is important to secure your account with a strong password and two-factor authentication at a minimum.
How Many Bitcoin Do I Need to Retire?
The amount of Bitcoin you need to retire depends entirely on your savings goal and spending needs in retirement. Bitcoin also fluctuates in price, so unless you can determine the future price of Bitcoin (hint: no one can), you cannot aim for a specific coin amount for retirement.
Bitcoin also plays a role in the larger picture of your investment portfolio if you are well diversified. Bitcoin may only make up a small portion of your overall investments, so it’s up to you how much Bitcoin you need to retire.
How Are Bitcoin IRAs Taxed?
Bitcoin IRA accounts follow the same taxation rules as regular IRA accounts. There are both traditional and Roth IRA options available, with different rules governing the taxation of your investments.
As a rule, traditional IRA contributions are tax deductible in the year you make them, and Roth IRA growth and withdrawals are tax free, but your contributions are made on an after-tax basis. We recommend consulting with a tax professional to determine your specific tax situation in regards to investing in a Bitcoin IRA.
How to Choose the Best Bitcoin IRA Company
To find the best Bitcoin IRA company for you, it’s important to know what features are the most important for your situation. If you prefer user experience and flexibility, finding a company with 24/7 trading features and a wide selection of digital assets available can help you reach your goals.
If you prefer security, then looking for a Bitcoin IRA company with an emphasis on data and asset protection will help you sleep better at night. And if you simply want someone to help you through the process of setting up the account, finding a company with stellar customer service will help you get started.
Overall, there are several Bitcoin IRA companies that offer a reputable service that can help you work toward your investing goals.