The U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card is a regular contender for our list of the best cash back credit cards on the market. With no annual fee and a solid cash back program that yields unlimited 1.5% on all qualifying purchases made, it’s an attractive everyday spending card for consumers whose purchasing patterns are as varied as their lifestyles.
Cash 365 has a nice 0% APR introductory balance transfer promotion, a solid sign-up bonus, and an above-average lineup of American Express benefits as well. These features put it in league with popular competitors like Chase Freedom Unlimited and Capital One Quicksilver, both of which have attractive sign-up bonuses and 1.5% ongoing cash back rewards rates.
Otherwise, keep reading to learn more about this card’s features, advantages, disadvantages, and overall suitability.
When you make at least $500 in eligible net purchases during the first 3 months, you get $150 bonus cash back.
Earning Cash Back
U.S. Bank Cash 365 American Express Card earns unlimited 1.5% cash back on all qualifying net purchases. There are no caps or restrictions on your total cash back earnings. Cash back never expires as long as your account remains open and in good standing.
Redeeming Cash Back
You can redeem your accumulated cash back for statement credits, deposits into U.S. Bank checking or savings accounts, or American Express rewards cards (gift cards that can be used anywhere American Express is accepted). For rewards cards, the minimum redemption threshold is $20 and rewards must be redeemed in $5 increments. Other redemption methods have no minimums.
U.S. Bank Cash 365 American Express Card includes some useful Amex-backed travel benefits at no extra charge:
- Complimentary Rental Car Insurance: Cardholders are entitled to complimentary loss and damage coverage, subject to certain restrictions, when they pay for their rentals in full with their cards.
- Travel Accident Insurance: Cardholders traveling on common carriers are eligible for travel accident insurance, a form of travel insurance, in the event of death or dismemberment. This coverage is subject to certain restrictions and limitations.
- Emergency Assistance: This coverage kicks in for travelers more than 100 miles from home. Benefits include referrals for medical and legal help, and emergency cash advances. Third-party services and cash advances may incur additional fees.
Cash 365’s additional, non-travel benefits include:
- Overdraft Protection for U.S. Bank Deposit Account Holders: If you have a U.S. Bank deposit account, you’re eligible to link your Cash 365 card to protect against overdrafts and NSF transactions. When you choose to opt into the overdraft protection program, deposit account transactions that would normally push your balance into negative territory are allowed to go through as usual. U.S. Bank then draws a corresponding cash advance on your Cash 365 account’s cash advance credit line to cover the shortfall. Most U.S. Bank deposit accounts charge at least $7.50 (and usually $12.50) per occurrence. Premium accounts with higher monthly maintenance fees may waive overdraft protection fees. Each transaction also incurs a cash advance fee (the greater of 4% or $10) and begins accruing interest at the prevailing cash advance rate. It’s therefore in your best interest to pay off each transfer as soon as possible.
- Best Value Guarantee: When you find an identical item with a lower advertised purchase price (excluding closeouts and certain other sales events) within 30 days of your purchase, you’re entitled to a refund of the difference, subject to certain limitations and exclusions.
- Return Protection: This benefit reimburses you for undamaged returns rejected by merchants for a variety of covered reasons within the original return window.
- Extended Warranty: You’re entitled to complimentary extended manufacturers’ or store brand warranties (up to one year) on items with existing warranties of 1 year or less.
- Retail Protection: Items damaged or stolen after purchase may be entitled to a full or partial refund or replacement under this benefit. Limitations and restrictions apply, so be sure to check your account agreement for more details.
- Entertainment Access: This far-reaching benefit includes exclusive and preferred (including pre-sale) access to hot tickets, such as major league sporting events, Broadway theater productions, live music shows, and much more. The benefit itself is complimentary, but you’re of course required to pay for any tickets or seats you choose to purchase.
U.S. Bank Cash 365 American Express Card has a 12-month, 0% APR introductory promotion for balance transfers. Qualifying transfers must be made within 60 days of account opening, and regular interest rates apply once the introductory period ends. There’s no corresponding promotion for purchases.
This card has no annual fee. Depending how the transaction is denominated, the foreign transaction fee is 2% to 3% – U.S. dollar transactions are cheaper than those denominated in foreign currency. Cash advances cost at least the greater of $5 or 3% of the advanced amount. Certain types of cash advances, such as overdraft protection transfers, cost more. Balance transfers cost the greater of $5 or 3%. Late payments cost $38. Returned payments cost $35.
This card requires good to excellent credit.
- No Annual Fee. The U.S. Bank Cash 365 American Express Card has no annual fee. This is great news for frugal cardholders and those whose tight budgets prevent them from spending quickly enough (and earning rewards fast enough) to offset any recurring levies.
- 12-Month 0% APR Balance Transfer Promotion. U.S. Bank Cash 365 American Express Card charges no interest on balance transfers for 12 months from account opening, provided those transfers are executed within 60 days of account opening. If you’re facing down high-interest credit card debts elsewhere, this is a great way to get them under control and earn a solid rate of return on spending in the process.
- Solid Sign-up Bonus. This card’s sign-up bonus is worth $150 in bonus cash – a solid return, considering you have to spend just $500 in qualifying net purchases within 3 months to earn it.
- No Cash Back Caps, Categories, or Expiration. Cash back earned with this card is not subject to any caps or expiration windows. You can earn as much or as little as your spending dictates, and your earnings never expire as long as your account remains open and in good standing. You also don’t have to worry about keeping track of temporary or permanent cash back categories – a nice perk for hands-off cardholders and a big advantage over quarterly rotating cards, such as Chase Freedom and Discover it.
- No Redemption Minimums for Statement Credits or Bank Account Deposits. You can redeem your cash back in any amount for statement credits or bank account deposits into qualifying U.S. Bank accounts. Some competing cards impose steep redemption minimums.
- No Penalty Interest Charges. This card doesn’t charge penalty interest. This is good news for cardholders who occasionally miss statement due dates due to cash flow issues or unexpected big-ticket expenses that can’t be paid with funds on hand.
- Solid Fringe Benefits. This card has an above-average lineup of fringe benefits, including preferred or exclusive access to top entertainment events, various travel benefits, and a best value guarantee on certain purchases.
- Ongoing Cash Back Rate Capped at 1.5%. This card’s ongoing cash back rate is capped at 1.5%. That’s nothing to sneeze at, but it’s a step down from some fellow flat-rate cash back cards. Citi Double Cash earns unlimited 2% cash back on a permanent basis, for instance. And it’s well below tier- and category-based credit cards, which reliably earn up to 5% cash back on select purchases.
- No Purchase APR Promotion. This card’s 0% APR introductory balance transfer promotion is nice. Unfortunately, it’s not paired with a comparable purchase promotion. If you’re planning to finance a large purchase or make a number of smaller purchases that can’t easily be paid off in a single billing cycle, look to Blue Cash Everyday Credit Card from American Express. Its 0% APR introductory promotion covers purchases and balance transfers both for 12 months.
- Foreign Transactions Cost 2% to 3%. U.S. Bank Cash 365 American Express Card adds 2% to dollar-denominated transactions and 3% to transactions denominated in foreign currency. If you regularly travel outside the United States, consider a travel rewards credit card that doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees. BankAmericard Travel Rewards is a nice annual-fee-free option.
The U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card isn’t anyone’s idea of groundbreaking. With a flat cash back rate, an easy-to-understand rewards program, and a nice introductory balance transfer promotion, it’s not all that different from other straightforward cash back competitors.
That doesn’t mean it’s completely interchangeable with those competitors. This card is made and broken by the details. In the plus column, there’s the above-average suite of mostly Amex-backed benefits. In the negative column, there’s the missing sign-up bonus. You’ll have to judge for yourself which side deserves more weight.