Advertiser Disclosure: This post includes references to offers from our partners. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. However, the opinions expressed here are ours alone and at no time has the editorial content been provided, reviewed, or approved by any issuer.
Many different rewards cards and low-interest credit cards are a part of the World MasterCard network. In addition to MasterCard being one of the most accepted brands worldwide, World MasterCard provides a number of exclusive benefits, services, and perks designed to make your purchasing experience as comfortable as possible.
Below is a list of the various features MasterCard offers cardholders and how it stacks up to the other credit card processing networks.
- Accepted Worldwide. The MasterCard brand is accepted at more than 32 million locations around the world, which is twice as many locations as many other credit card brands.
- Location-Based Special Offers. The Priceless Cities program provides you with access to special deals and offers based on the city you’re in. These deals often include free nights in hotels, discounts on sporting events and entertainment, and even complimentary gifts. Priceless Cities covers dining, shopping, sports, travel, music and entertainment, and arts and culture for cities all over the globe.
- Travel Benefits. World MasterCard provides access to the World Card Hotel and Resorts Program, which includes exclusive travel benefits, experiences, offers, upgrades at time of arrival, early check-in, special amenities, and VIP status, depending on the location. Other benefits of the World Card Hotel and Resorts Program include travel services such as discounts on wireless services when calling from abroad and special discounts on car rentals.
- Various Reward Programs. World MasterCard offers various credit cards with a range of different rewards programs, promotional APRs, balance transfer offers, and low-interest and low-fee options. For example, Barclay Arrival, U.S. Airways, Lufthansa, Citi AA World, and USAA cards are all part of the World MasterCard family.
- MasterCard Marketplace. This program provides you with exclusive deals and offers in over 25 categories, such as arts and entertainment, clothing, travel, and beauty. In order to participate, you can either choose to remain anonymous and not engage socially, or you can connect through Facebook which tailors your experience based on likes and interest information pulled from your Facebook activity and connections.
- Tap & Go. One of the newest forms of technology in credit card security is Tap & Go with MasterCard’s PayPass. An embedded microchip and antenna allow you to make purchases by simply tapping your PayPass-enabled mobile phone, credit card, key fob, or mobile payment tag, which is a faster and more secure payment option than just sign and swipe methods. PayPass can be added to any MasterCard, and there are currently hundreds of thousands of merchants accepting it.
- Chip Technology. The chip cards contain an embedded microchip which allows you to use a PIN for transactions at chip terminals, which read the chip in your card. No signature is required for the transaction. Chip technology is a more secure option as opposed to sign and swipe cards, and with some retailers, is the only type of card accepted. As of April 2013, all MasterCards have chip technology.
- Concierge Services. World MasterCard also provides various concierge services including personal assistants and experts who answer questions, arrange dinner reservations, locate hard-to-find items, and buy or send gifts. Airport concierge services are also included with dedicated Meet & Greet agents to escort you through airports at more than 450 destinations worldwide.
- Price Protection. If you make a purchase with your World MasterCard and then find the same product available for a lower price within 60 days, you are reimbursed for the price difference, up to $250 per claim.
- Most Accepted Credit Card. If a merchant accepts credit cards, there is a good chance that MasterCard is one of them. Of the four main credit card issuers, MasterCard is the most accepted worldwide.
- Variety of Reward Options. World MasterCard has credit cards with reward programs or opportunities that fit many financial situations and goals. For instance, you can earn airline miles with the Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard, Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard, or the U.S. Airways Premier World MasterCard. On the other hand, if you prefer to earn cash back or points that can be redeemed for merchandise or gift cards, World MasterCard also offers the USAA Cash Rewards and USAA Rewards cards.
- Up-To-Date Technology. Tap & Go (PayPass) and chip technology, are both elements that are not available with all credit cards. Since many retailers in Europe now only accept chip cards, having this technology is invaluable, especially for travelers.
- Fewer Charge Card Options. Most cards are credit cards rather than charge cards – a charge card generally requires you to pay your balance in full every month, while a credit card doesn’t. The advantage to charge cards is that it is more difficult to accumulate debt (and commensurate interest charges) since you can’t carry a balance.
The specific credit card brand that you choose depends upon factors that vary such as rewards programs, APRs, promotional offers, and fees associated with the individual card. However, in order to choose the best card for you, it’s vital to also assess your financial situation. For example, cards with rewards programs will rarely benefit cardholders who don’t regularly pay off their balances in full since APRs on such cards tend to be high. Always read the fine print of each card you consider to compare the APR, fees, and details of any rewards programs you’re interested in.
If you are selecting a credit card, consider cards carrying the World MasterCard logo. Not only is MasterCard accepted worldwide, but it offers a range of valuable benefits on all its cards, plus hundreds of rewards programs, low-interest rate options, and low-fee opportunities with various banks.