Advertiser Disclosure: This post includes references to offers from our partners. We receive compensation when you click on links to those products. However, the opinions expressed here are ours alone and at no time has the editorial content been provided, reviewed, or approved by any issuer.
Learn more about this card and find out how you can apply here.
Purchases at Walmart.com and the Walmart app, including groceries and sales marked for in-store pickup, earn unlimited 5% cash back. You earn unlimited 2% back for purchases made inside Walmart stores, at eligible restaurants and travel merchants, and at Walmart and Murphy USA gas stations — making this a solid contender for one of the best gas credit cards as well. All other purchases, including purchases at Sam’s Club locations and SamsClub.com, earn unlimited 1% cash back.
Beyond the rewards program, this card’s benefits are nothing to write home about, and the interest rates are on the high side. But the underwriting requirements are relatively loose, so this is an ideal first credit card for Walmart enthusiasts looking to build or improve their credit. With no annual fee and a rewards program that’s quite generous for Walmart and Murphy USA shoppers, the Walmart Rewards Card is worth keeping in your wallet.
Here’s how to get the most out of this card.
For a limited time, get $50 when you spend $300 in purchases in the first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 3% back when you use Walmart Pay for purchases made at Walmart stores for the first 12 months from account opening, for a total of 5% cash back on in-store Walmart purchases during the first 12 months.
Earning & Redeeming Cash-Back Rewards
The Walmart Rewards Card has a three-tiered cash-back program:
- Purchases made at Walmart.com and through the Walmart app, including grocery purchases and purchases marked for in-store pickup at any physical Walmart location, earn unlimited 5% cash back.
- Purchases made at Walmart and Murphy USA gas stations, inside Walmart stores, and with eligible restaurant and travel merchants earn unlimited 2% cash back.
- All other purchases, including those made at Sam’s Club locations, earn unlimited 1% cash back.
Cash back is automatically delivered at the end of the billing cycle and does not expire as long as your account remains open and in good standing. You can redeem accumulated cash back for statement credits against eligible purchases made during the prior 90-day period.
Possibility of Promotional Interest-Free Period
The Walmart Rewards Card does not advertise a continuous introductory interest-free or low APR promotion. However, its terms do include mention of special promotional periods that can eliminate interest charges for as long as 24 months at a stretch.
The interest-free period may apply to specific purchases or any purchases made while the promotion is active, depending on the terms of the promotion and Walmart’s discretion. It doesn’t necessarily apply only at sign-up, making it more versatile than standard introductory interest-free promotions.
This card has no annual fee or foreign transaction fee.
This card requires average or better credit. Although serious credit blemishes such as recent personal bankruptcies are likely to disqualify your application, more minor issues may not. It’s therefore an ideal credit card for consumers in the process of mending their credit.
- No Annual Fee. The Walmart Rewards Card doesn’t charge an annual fee. This is great news for frugal cardholders and occasional Walmart shoppers who want to keep this card in their wallets without paying for the privilege.
- 5% Cash Back at Walmart.com. Frequent Walmart.com shoppers will love this card’s unlimited 5% cash back on the retail giant’s website. The same rate applies to grocery purchases and purchases marked for in-store pickup, so it’s perfect for bulky or heavy items for which shipping is costly or impractical.
- Potential for a Long Introductory APR Period. Although it doesn’t have a regular interest-free or low APR introductory promotion, this card does have periodic promotions that eliminate interest across the board or on specific purchases for as long as 24 months at a time. That’s great news for cardholders planning big-ticket purchases that they can’t afford to pay off right away.
- Loose Underwriting Requirements. This card is available to applicants with average or better credit. Although your approval is never guaranteed, you stand a better chance of making it through the application process with this card than with better-known cash-back cards that require excellent credit.
- Bonus Cash Back on Restaurant and Travel Purchases. This card earns 2% cash back on restaurant and travel purchases, making it a solid companion for diners and travelers without more generous travel rewards credit cards in their wallets.
- No Penalty APR. The Walmart Rewards Card doesn’t charge penalty interest on past-due payments. If you occasionally miss your statement due date due to irregular cash flow or unexpected expenses, you don’t have to worry about getting locked into a sky-high rate indefinitely.
- Only 90 Days to Redeem Cash Back for Account Credits. When redeeming cash back for account credits, you’re only allowed to offset purchases going back 90 days. If you haven’t used your card for longer than that, you’ll need to make a purchase just to redeem your cash back.
- No Bonus Cash Back on Purchases Made at Sam’s Club Stores. This card earns just 1% cash back on purchases made at physical Sam’s Club stores. If you prefer to shop in person at the country’s second most popular warehouse store, you won’t get any more out of this card than any other standard-issue cash-back credit card — and possibly less. Several higher-earning cards such as the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card offer unlimited 1.5% cash back on all eligible purchases.
The Capital One® Walmart Rewards™ Card is a great entry-level cash back credit card for regular Walmart shoppers and drivers who encounter Walmart and Murphy USA stations in their daily travels.
Despite its relatively loose underwriting standards, the Walmart Rewards Card isn’t for everyone. If you don’t qualify for this card, look instead to the Walmart Credit Card, a store credit card with a similar rewards scheme. The Walmart Credit Card isn’t backed by Mastercard or any other credit card payment network, so you can’t use it at merchants other than Walmart, but it’s nevertheless a great rewards-bearing vehicle for folks looking to build credit. And, considering you can buy pretty much anything at Walmart or Walmart.com, it’s versatile enough.
Do you have the Capital One Walmart Rewards Card? What do you like about it?