Weddings are one of the biggest — and most expensive — events in many people’s lives. In 2019, the average wedding cost $28,000, according to The Knot’s 2019 Real Weddings Survey.
And that’s just the average. Imagine how much you could do with that much money if you applied it to your long-term financial goals as a couple instead.
Start your lives together on solid financial footing by setting a reasonable wedding budget and sticking to it. We’ve gathered our best tips on how to do just that.
How to Save Money on Your Wedding
From the proposal to the honeymoon, you can save big on your big day (and help your family and loved ones save too).
Pricey diamonds are no longer a must-have for many modern brides. So find a ring your partner will love for a price your wallet will love too.
- Engagement Ring Cost – How Much of Your Salary Should You Spend? – So, you’ve decided to propose to your sweetheart. You’re probably wondering how much you should spend on the ring. The good news is the two-months’-salary rule is a lie made up by marketers. Find out how much you should really save up.
- 6 Ways to Save on an Engagement Ring – Cheap Diamond Alternatives – An engagement ring for your partner is one of the most significant purchases you’ll ever make — and definitely one of the most stressful, especially if you’re tight on cash. Fortunately, when it comes to ring shopping, there are several ways to reconcile big dreams with a smaller budget.
Ceremony and Reception
Putting together a wedding involves many moving parts. And you can save money on all of them.
- Should You Take Out a Personal Loan to Fund Your Wedding? – An unsecured personal loan is the most flexible, affordable borrowing option if you can’t pay for your wedding out of pocket. But that doesn’t mean you should take one out. First, research how personal wedding loans work, when using personal loans to cover wedding expenses makes sense, and alternative options to consider.
- 16 Ways to Find Cheap Budget Wedding Venue Ideas for the Ceremony and Reception – One of the best ways to save money on your wedding is with your venue. So start your wedding planning off right by making the most cost-effective decision.
- 16 Ways to Save Money on Cheap DIY Wedding Invitations on a Budget – With the investment in paper, envelopes, RSVP cards, and postage, the cost of wedding invitations can add up fast. But you can cut back on this wedding expense significantly by following these tips.
- 49 Ways to Save on Wedding Food and Drink Costs – Tips and Ideas – From saving on a caterer to forgoing a wedding cake, these modern wedding savings tips can help you limit what you spend on appetizers, beverages, and more.
- 10 Ways to Get Cheap Wedding Flowers on Any Budget – No wedding day would be complete without flowers and greenery. Beautiful arrangements add life, color, and beauty to your ceremony and reception. And you don’t have to pay exorbitant florist prices to have them for your wedding. Just use these tips to save on everything from bouquets to centerpieces.
- 9 Cheap DIY Wedding Favor Ideas on a Budget – You don’t have to spend a fortune to give your guests a token or your appreciation. Follow these tips to create wedding favors that will be memorable without breaking the bank.
- 10 Ideas to Save Money on Wedding Ceremony and Reception Party Music – Your wedding day is an expression of your love and life, and the music you choose should reflect who you are as a couple. Fortunately, there are plenty of creative options to save money on music for both your ceremony and reception.
- 20 Ways to Get Cheap Professional Wedding Photographers and Videographers – Professional-grade wedding memories are expensive. If you’re fretting about how you’re going to pay for them, check out these tips for getting cheap (or at least cheaper) professional wedding photography and videography.
- 12 Ways to Save Money and the Environment With a Green Wedding – Your wedding is one of the biggest days of your life. You want it to be fabulous! But the average wedding comes with a lot of waste and cost. Most nuptial staples aren’t made with the environment or your wallet in mind. But all hope is not lost thanks to these money- and environment-saving tips.
Clothes and Beauty
Looking good on your special day doesn’t have to cost a fortune.
- 12 Ways to Buy a Cheap Unique Wedding Dress on a Budget – Whether you have a tight wedding budget or you’re simply opposed to spending so much money on a single-use article of clothing, there are plenty of affordable ways to get the right wedding gown for less.
- 10 Ways to Save Money on Men’s Wedding Tuxedos and Rentals for the Groom – Most men’s formalwear looks just about the same. So why spend big bucks on what guests won’t even notice or appreciate? Learn how you can get a bargain on wedding wear for the groom and groomsmen without compromising style.
- How to Do Your Wedding Makeup on a Budget – 10 Tips and Ideas – Whether you plan to do your own wedding makeup or have someone help you, these tips can help you look radiant without blowing your wedding budget.
For Guests and the Wedding Party
The happy couple aren’t the only ones who shell out money on a wedding. But there are plenty of ways guests (including the wedding party) can save too.
- How to Attend Weddings on a Tight Budget – Saving Money as a Guest – Weddings aren’t just expensive for the wedding couple. Guests have to pay for things like travel, accommodations, gifts, and clothes to attend the happy event. But there are ways to save the next time you’re invited to a wedding.
- 8 Wedding-Related Expenses to Save On as a Bridesmaid – When a friend or family member asks you to be a bridesmaid, it’s certainly flattering and exciting. It can also be torture on your wallet. But with some strategic planning, you can lower your bridesmaid costs significantly.
- 11 Unique and Creative Wedding Gift Ideas on a Cheap Budget – A lack of money or a desire to keep from overspending shouldn’t stop you from extending your well wishes to the happy couple. Take a look at these ideas for wedding gifts that are thoughtful, inexpensive, and useful.
After the Wedding
Tying the knot is just the beginning of your life together. Set yourself up for financial success with these tips for newlyweds.
- 19 Ideas to Save Money When Planning Your Honeymoon on a Budget – After spending money on a wedding, a pricey honeymoon is the last thing many couples want to pay for. Fortunately, there’s a lot you can do to make your honeymoon more affordable.
- Money Management and Saving Tips for Engaged and Newly Married Couples – If you’re newly married or about to settle down with your significant other, there are ways to manage your money that can spare your relationship a lot of distress.
Your wedding is your day. Don’t give in to social pressure to spend more than you’re comfortable spending. Only you know which elements are most important to you and your significant other. All the rest are optional.
So have an intimate backyard barbecue, DIY all your decor, throw an off-season winter wedding, or whatever else you can dream up. What matters most is that you’re beginning your new life together. Why not do it with more money in your bank account?