Advertiser Disclosure

Advertiser Disclosure: The credit card offers that appear on this site are from credit card companies from which receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site, including, for example, the order in which they appear on category pages. does not include all credit card companies or all available credit card offers, although best efforts are made to include a comprehensive list of offers regardless of compensation. Advertiser partners include American Express, Chase, U.S. Bank, and Barclaycard, among others.




Dig Deeper


Become a Money Crasher!
Join our community.

When to Hire a Tax Attorney



You never know when you will be faced with a complex tax situation that calls for outside help. If you are lucky, this will never happen to you. But unfortunately, there is no way of knowing for sure. There may be a time when you’ve fallen behind on your taxes, and now you’ve got the IRS pounding down the door to collect. This situation can get pretty scary because no one wants to deal with the IRS! You can handle a lot of tax situations on your own, but there are some special personal cases and many other cases if you own a business where hiring a tax attorney makes sense. Also, don’t get a tax attorney mixed up with a certified public accountant (CPA). CPA’s specialize in tax preparation and can answer tax questions you might have. A tax attorney comes into play generally when there is some sort of legal issue regarding your taxes. If you ever face any of the following situations it may make sense to hire a tax attorney:

1. Are you being audited by the IRS? In this case, you may need legal representation. The job of a tax attorney in this situation is to help you negotiate a settlement with the IRS. In other words, they can help you settle your debt for less. This can be done in many ways, including an offer in compromise, penalty abatement, or installment agreement. Be aware that offers in compromise are VERY rarely accepted by the IRS. You need to have a really good hardship story and show that you have absolutely no money and very little assets.

Sign up for the Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card now and get a $300 bonus after spending $3k within 3 months. Unlimited 4% cash back on dining & entertainment, 2% at grocery stores, 1% everywhere else.
Find out how to apply here.

2. If the IRS is pursuing criminal charges, you definitely need a tax attorney. This is a very serious situation, and one that you do not want to handle on your own. There are times when the IRS has no choice but to pursue criminal charges. Generally speaking, this is the result of income tax evasion. You are required by law to pay income tax. If you don’t, the IRS will take begin to send you notices. The longer you go without responding or paying the more it appears that you are hiding.

Along with the above, you may need a tax attorney if you are accused of tax fraud.

The last thing you want is to end up in prison and/or be slapped with large fines. While you may not be able to avoid all trouble, your tax attorney can help reduce your penalty.

3. Do you need somebody to communicate on your behalf with the IRS? A tax attorney can help in this situation. If you sign a power of attorney, your attorney is able to communicate directly with the IRS so you don’t have to. This can go a long way in reducing some of the stress that has been put on you.

4. Receiving a CP Notice can be scary. This is a letter/notice from the IRS that is often times sent to inform you of a balance due (although this is not always the case). For instance, a CP 501 is also known as a “Reminder Notice – Balance Due.” If you don’t understand a CP Notice or are worried that this could turn into a bigger issue, consulting with a tax attorney is a good idea.

Should I contact a tax attorney with questions about my return? As I mentioned at the beginning, while tax attorneys know a thing or two about filing returns, they are not the right person to contact. If you need this type of help, you are best off hiring a certified public accountant (CPA) or tax preparation professional. They specialize in tax returns. A tax attorney specializes in tax law.

If you find yourself having to hire a tax attorney, there is probably something wrong. The four situations above often times call for the help of an attorney. Rather than continue to wait, contact an experienced professional and let them help you figure out which steps to take next.

(photo credit: Freedom To Marry)

Chris Bibey
Chris Bibey is a freelance writer who over the years has honed his personal finance experience by writing more than 100 feature articles on the subject. In his spare time, Chris enjoys sports - West Virginia football in particular!

Next Up on
Money Crashers

Types Common Craigslist Scams

7 Types of Common Craigslist Scams to Watch Out for

It used to be that when you wanted to find an apartment for rent, buy a used car, or pick up used, secondhand items...
Cheap Discount Sports Tickets Online

Top 10 Places to Buy Cheap Discount Sports Tickets Online

From opening day to the playoffs, if you want tickets to any major sporting event, you may face some steep costs, especially if you...

Latest on
Money Crashers

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

See why 218,388 people subscribe to our newsletter.

What Do You Want To Do
With Your Money?