Amazon Business Prime Card
- Sign-Up Bonus: Earn a $125 Amazon.com gift card upon approval
- 5% Back: At Amazon Business, AWS, Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market
- 90 Days’ Interest-Free Financing: Instead of receiving Amazon Rewards back
- 2% Back: At restaurants, gas stations, and wireless phone services purchased directly from service providers
- 1% Back: On all other purchases
- Annual Fee: $0
- Credit Needed: Good or better
If you’re a small business owner, one of your top priorities is surely to save money on unavoidable expenses. Purchasing business supplies online at Amazon.com is one of the ways many small business owners also save time.
With the Amazon Business Prime Card from American Express, you can do both while earning up to 5% back on your Amazon purchases. Or you can forgo the hefty cash-back rate and receive 90 days of interest-free financing on your Amazon charges instead. And for purchases made anywhere else American Express is accepted, you can earn unlimited 2% back, regardless of your Prime membership status.
But this isn’t a premium rewards credit card, and it doesn’t offer you any travel rewards or benefits. It’s a simple card designed to save you the most money on your Amazon charges and other business expenses, and not much else.
What Is the Amazon Business Prime Card?
The Amazon Business Prime Card is a co-branded small-business credit card that’s accepted anywhere American Express cards are. When you use it to shop at Amazon.com, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon Business, or at Whole Foods Market, you can earn 5% back on your purchases with a valid Amazon Prime Business membership or 3% without one.
Alternatively, you can choose to receive 90 days of interest free financing on those purchases. Either way, there’s no annual fee or foreign transaction fee.
This card also offers 2% back at restaurants, gas stations and wireless phone services purchased directly from service providers. You earn 1% back on all other purchases.
Additional benefits are limited but include extended warranty coverage and a purchase protection plan that covers losses from theft or accidental damage. The card’s online dashboard features enhanced data views that show purchases listed by item and are easy to download.
What Sets the Amazon Business Prime Card Apart?
This card has several positive features that distinguish it from its competitors.
- 5%/3% back or 90 days of financing. It’s great to have this choice. With it, you can maximize your rewards or minimize your interest charges, whichever is more important to you at the time.
- Additional cash back outside of Amazon. It’s competitive to earn 2% back at restaurants, gas stations and for wireless phone services expenses.
- Amazon Business Enhanced Data Views offer more insights into your expenses. The tight integration between Amazon and American Express allows you to get a better look at your expenses and where you might be able to tighten up.
Key Features of the Amazon Business Prime Card
This small-business credit card offers a simple rewards program and a few key benefits beyond that.
You earn a $125 Amazon.com gift card upon approval. There’s no minimum spending requirement, so this is basically a lock to earn.
If you have a valid Amazon Prime Business membership, you earn your choice of 5% back or 90 days of interest-free financing on purchases from the following vendors:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Amazon Business
- Whole Foods Market
You only earn 5% rewards on your first $120,000 of spending each calendar year, which adds up to $6,000 in potential annual rewards at this tier. If you exceed the $120,000 spending cap in a given year, you can still take advantage of 90-day interest-free financing on eligible purchases.
If you don’t have a valid Amazon Prime Business membership, you earn 3% back on the first $120,000 in eligible spending. The 90 days’ interest-free financing option still applies.
Beyond the 5%/3% tier, this card earns 2% back at restaurants, gas stations, and on eligible wireless phone service purchases. It earns 1% back on all other purchases.
You can redeem your rewards points to save on items at checkout on Amazon.com and Amazon Business (U.S.). You can also apply them as statement credits toward prior purchases. Either way, they’re worth one cent each at redemption.
There’s no annual fee or foreign transaction fee. Other fees may apply.
This card requires good or better credit to qualify. If your FICO score is much below 700, or your personal credit history is limited, then you’ll likely have trouble being approved.
Pros & Cons
This card has several key advantages and disadvantages to understand before you take the time to apply.
- Generous, easy-to-earn sign-up bonus
- Choose between up to 5% cash back or 90 days' interest-free financing on eligible purchases
- Earn unlimited 2% back in several spending categories
- No recurring card fees
- Annual spending cap on 3%/5% rewards tier
- Few perks beyond the rewards program
The Amazon Business Prime Card has a generous, flexible rewards program without an annual fee.
- $125 gift card upon approval. This is a relatively generous sign-up bonus for a no-annual-fee credit card, and it’s extremely easy to earn. There’s no early spend requirement.
- Up to 5% cash back on eligible purchases. With an eligible Amazon Prime Business membership, you can earn 5% back on eligible spending with Amazon companies, including Amazon Business, AWS, Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market. Otherwise, you earn 3% — still a nice return.
- Option for 90 days’ interest-free financing. If you prefer, you can receive 90-day terms on your purchases instead of 5% cash back.
- Broad 2% cash-back categories. Outside the Amazon ecosystem, you can earn 2% rewards on purchases at restaurants, gas stations and wireless phone services purchased directly from service providers.
- No recurring card fees. This card has no annual fee or foreign transaction fees, so it has no carrying costs and no penalties for international business travelers.
Unlike some popular business credit cards, the Amazon Business Prime Card is light on nonrewards perks and has a spending cap on its top rewards tier.
- Spending cap on 5%/3% rewards tier. Your 5%/3% rewards earning potential is limited to $120,000 worth of purchases in a year, or $6,000 in rewards earned in this tier. Fortunately, you can take advantage of 90-day interest-free financing at any time.
- Few value-added perks. This card has no real travel perks or travel insurance coverage, so it’s not ideal for users seeking truly generous benefits.
How the Amazon Business Prime Card Stacks Up
This card’s closest competitor may be the The Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi. While Costco offers online sales, it doesn’t have nearly the selection that Amazon.com does. On the other hand, Costco has hundreds of warehouse stores around the country, a physical footprint that Amazon can’t match.
|Amazon Business Prime||Costco Anywhere Business|
|Annual Fee||$0||$0 (with your paid Costco membership)|
|Sign-Up Bonus||$125 Amazon Gift Card||None|
|Rewards Rate||Up to 5%||Up to 4% on gas and EV charging|
|0% Intro APR||90 day terms on Amazon purchases, in lieu of 3%/5% rewards||None|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None||None|
|Credit Needed||Good or better||Good or better|
The Amazon Business Prime Card is a great way for small business owners to earn rewards worth 5% on their purchases. By far, that’s the biggest strength this card has. It offers few other perks and benefits.
Still, if your business spends a lot with Amazon companies like Amazon.com, AWS, and Whole Foods, this card makes perfect sense. Especially with no annual fee.
Amazon Business Prime Card
This small business card is ideal for companies that spend heavily at Amazon.com, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon Business and at Whole Foods Market. It offers your choice of up to 5% back or 90 days of interest free financing on those purchases, both of which are very hard to beat. It even offers a competitive 2% back on other common business services.
Just don’t expect all the perks and benefits of a premium small-business credit card. This is not a luxury product.