Since its inception, Ibotta has become one of the most popular shopping apps in the United States, paying more than $600 million to members in that time. In terms of saving money on groceries and household products, Ibotta is a must-have app for any savvy shopper.
But it’s not the only game in town. There are plenty of other apps like Ibotta that make it even easier to cut down on monthly expenses. Plus, some of them are also available outside the United States. If you want to easily earn PayPal rewards and free gift cards just by shopping, the following apps are worth downloading.
How Apps Like Ibotta Work
Ibotta has more than 10 million downloads between its Android and IOS apps. However, its model isn’t revolutionary. Many other apps follow the same process:
- Browse for Offers. Apps like Ibotta partner with various retailers and brands, offering cash-back rewards for buying products from their partners.
- Select Offers and Shop. Add sponsored offers to your shopping list before heading to the store.
- Verify Purchases. Most apps require you to upload receipts to provide proof of purchase. Some apps also link to your credit or debit card to track when you spend money at partner retailers. Either way, to earn cash back, you have to upload a receipt or wait for your purchases to credit, depending on the app.
- Redeem Rewards. Once you reach a certain threshold, you can redeem your balance for free gift cards, PayPal cash, charitable donations, or even direct deposit depending on the app.
These reward apps won’t save the average shopper thousands of dollars per year. However, they’re all free, easy to use, and a nifty way to score more free gift cards or cash for your spending.
Best Cash Back Rewards Apps
1. Fetch Rewards
Out of all the apps that are similar to Ibotta, Fetch Rewards is probably the simplest way to earn rewards and cash out. That’s because Fetch Rewards is brand-dependent instead of retailer-dependent like most other reward apps.
With Fetch Rewards, you earn points for uploading a receipt including a product from a partner brand. There are dozens of partners, including plenty of well-known brands like:
Additionally, Fetch Rewards goes beyond the grocery store. Other brand partners include medications, magazines, baby supplies, alcohol, and household products. Fetch Rewards accepts receipts from a variety of retailers, as long as they include a partner brand.
You can also shop for sponsored offers in the Fetch Rewards app to earn bonus points.
Once you reach 3,000 points ($3) in your account, you can redeem dozens of free gift cards or donate to more than 10 charities. Apps like Ibotta typically have a $20 redemption threshold, so Fetch Rewards’ $3 requirement is what makes this one of the best rewards apps out there.
Download Fetch Rewards for Android or IOS and start earning free gift cards by shopping for your favorite brands.
SavingStar is a grocery rebate app for Android and IOS that’s another low-effort way to earn cash back for your grocery spending. You don’t have to worry about uploading receipts for most SavingStar partners. SavingStar lets you connect store membership cards to the app to automatically track when you buy products eligible for cash back.
Saving money with SavingStar is also quite simple:
- Add Stores. Pick stores at which you regularly shop and add them to your account. Most SavingStar partners work by linking your loyalty cards, so you have to manually link each card you use. For example, if you shop at Walgreens, you can link your Walgreens Balance Rewards card to SavingStar to automatically detect your eligible rebate purchases. Several partners require receipt scanning to earn cash back, but most stores are automatic.
- Activate Rebates. Browse the SavingStar app for rebates you’re interested in and activate them before shopping. This process is identical to Ibotta’s.
- Redeem Rebates. You earn rebates as long as you link a store loyalty card, activate rebate offers before shopping, and remember to shop with your linked card. Cash appears in your SavingStar account in two to seven days. For receipt redemptions, SavingStar works like any other receipt scanning app. Simply upload a photo of your receipt via the app, enter UPC codes for rebate items, and earn cash back in roughly 48 hours.
- Get Cash. Redeem your account balance once you reach $20 for PayPal cash, direct deposit, several gift card options, or a donation to American Forests.
SavingStar works with several dozen grocery stores and pharmacies, including major chains like Walmart, Kroger, Costco, CVS, Target, and Walgreens.
Additionally, unlike Ibotta, SavingStar is more consistent, with rebates and offers three different categories:
- One or Many. These offers pay larger rewards for reaching a spending goal — for example, spend $30 on any product from a specific brand to earn $10 back. You can complete these offers in a single shopping trip or over several trips.
- Always On Programs. Occasionally, SavingStar releases offers for specific partners that remain active for a certain duration. Once you activate these offers, you earn whenever you purchase the product for the duration of the promotion.
- Healthy Offers. SavingStar posts an offer on produce every Tuesday.
Ultimately, the largely automatic savings from linking loyalty cards and the variety of rebate offers makes SavingStar one of the most versatile apps like Ibotta you can download.
Shopkick lets you earn free gift cards in several ways. Popular options include walking into specific stores, scanning product barcodes for select products, shopping online through Shopkick’s Android or IOS app, and watching sponsored videos.
Another way to earn kicks, the in-app currency, is by shopping at Shopkick partners for rebate offers and uploading receipts, similar to Ibotta.
Like Ibotta, Shopkick has a rotating list of offers. Popular partners include Amazon, Korger, TJ Maxx, Sephora, and Walmart, so it’s easy to find offers from retailers you frequent.
Offers typically include grocery items, household products, magazines, and health and wellness supplies. You can also link your credit card to Shopkick to earn additional kicks for shopping at partners. If you already use a cash-back credit card, this is a simple way to take your savings even further.
Shopkick has plenty of free gift cards to choose from, including gift cards to Amazon, Best Buy, JCPenney, Lowe’s, and Target.
The variety of earning options on Shopkick make it more than your average grocery rebate app. Plus, you can always use Shopkick in combination with apps like Ibotta or Fetch Rewards to make sure your savings go beyond the supermarket.
If you don’t like the idea of manually activating offers, Dosh is the right reward app for you.
Dosh is a relatively newer player in the world of reward apps, hitting the scene in 2016. However, it’s one of the easiest ways to earn passive income from shopping because it’s almost entirely hands-off.
Here’s how Dosh helps users save money:
- Connect a Card. Link your credit and debit cards to Dosh to let the app monitor when you shop. Dosh uses SSL encryption, two-factor authentication, and other security measures that match the standard of other reward apps that require card linking.
- Shop and Earn. Shop with a linked card and earn up to 10% cash back in your Dosh wallet. Note that debit card transactions don’t qualify if you require your pin to complete a purchase.
- Redeem Cash. Withdraw your cash back through PayPal, Venmo, direct deposit, or donate to charity. You must have at least $25 in your wallet to withdraw, but you can redeem amounts as low as $5.
Dosh partners with thousands of retailers, restaurants, and hotel chains. This coverage makes it easy to steadily earn cash back with Dosh as long as you shop with a linked card. Some popular partners include Sephora, Dunkin` Donuts, Macy’s, Dominos, and Instacart.
Plus, you can book hotels through Dosh Travel to receive up to 40% cash back. You must book through the Dosh app, but this feature works with more than 600,000 hotels.
If you factor in Dosh’s $5 refer-a-friend program and Dosh Offers — additional offers that reward you for shopping at local merchants — it’s clear that Dosh is a versatile rewards app.
Dosh isn’t the most similar platform to Ibotta, but it does a lot of things right. It’s almost completely passive, and there’s no harm in installing the app, linking a card, and effortlessly earning cash-back rewards.
5. Receipt Hog
Receipt Hog is one of the most popular receipt scanning apps around, with several million Android and IOS downloads. If you want to make even more money with your shopping receipts and potentially win cash prizes, Receipt Hog is for you.
Unlike most grocery rebate apps, Receipt Hog has three categories of shopping receipts:
- Coin Receipts. Grocery store, pharmacy, convenience store, and supercenter purchases count as coin receipts. These receipts pay coins, the in-app currency, which are redeemable for Amazon gift cards or PayPal cash.
- Spin Receipts. Apparel, home improvement, electronics, and office supply receipts count toward spins at Hog Slots. This in-app slot game lets you win cash, extra coins, or earn money back on a previous receipt.
- Sweepstake Receipts. Receipts from gas stations, eateries, and bars grant sweepstake entries. Receipt Hog runs monthly coin sweepstakes which you enter automatically after uploading a spin receipt.
The transaction total on your receipt influences how many coins you earn. You can upload up to 20 receipts per week, and you have 14 days from initial purchase to upload a receipt. Receipts must clearly show the date, transaction total, list of products, and retailer to qualify.
You can redeem your coins once you reach 1,000 coins in your account, which is equal to $10. This realistically takes many large shopping trips and diligent receipt uploads, but if you do most of the shopping for your household, Receipt Hog is worth trying.
Unlike Ibotta, Receipt Hog doesn’t offer specific rebates for buying a certain brand or product. However, it’s still an easy way to earn money for shopping at grocery stores or other retailers. Besides, you can always download a variety of apps like Ibotta to maximize rewards and find your favorite app.
6. Checkout 51
Checkout 51 is the most similar app to Ibotta. In fact, the process of picking rebate offers and earning cash is nearly identical.
Checkout 51 releases new rebates every Thursday. You browse through the app to add products to your Checkout 51 shopping list. Once you make an eligible purchase, you simply upload a receipt for proof and earn cash back.
Like with Ibotta, you can cash out at $20, but only via check. Checkout 51 is testing PayPal rewards, but the app is currently less robust than Ibotta in terms of rewards. However, Checkout 51 is slightly more versatile in terms of earning options.
Unlike Ibotta, which is more retailer-specific, Checkout 51 has many generic rebate offers that work across multiple retailers. Additionally, several offers are for common grocery essentials like eggs, bread, milk, and fruit.
Plus, you also earn cash back for shopping online as long as your purchase qualifies and you upload a picture of a packing slip for proof of purchase. However, Ibotta has more options to shop online, which is probably the most notable difference between these two apps. Checkout 51 also works on the Web in addition to via an app on Android and IOS devices, whereas Ibotta members must download a browser extension to earn from their computer.
The main downside of Checkout 51 is the short time frame for offers. Once offers go live on Thursday at 12am, they only last until the following Thursday, and quantities run out quickly. The key to making money with Checkout 51 is to act fast and diligently check the app each week.
Checkout 51 is available in the U.S. and Canada, whereas Ibotta is only available in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Ultimately, your best bet is to download both apps to ensure you always have a wide range of rebate offers to save money on your next grocery bill.
If you live in the United Kingdom, France, or Belgium and want to get in on the world of grocery rebate apps, you’re in luck. While most apps like Ibotta only work in North America, Shopmium is working to change that.
Shopmium is available for Android and IOS and also works online. Like Ibotta, Shopmium members add rebate offers to their shopping list. Offers are either available at multiple retailers or specific stores. The Shopmium app has a geolocation feature that highlights offers in your area, making it easier to save money.
Additionally, once you upload an eligible receipt, Shopmium pays cash back within 48 hours via PayPal or direct deposit. That’s much faster than accumulating $20 in either Checkout 51 or Ibotta. You can also link loyalty cards directly through the Shopmium app to earn rewards at checkout.
If you live in a supported country, use Shopmium to start finding local rebate offers and to put a dent in your grocery spending.
8. Coupons.com App
This app makes it easy to access paperless coupons for dozens of retailers. The coupons are identical to what you find on Coupons.com, and you can still print them from your smartphone if you desire. Once you link your grocery store loyalty cards to the app, you add coupons directly to your account. This automatically redeems coupons at checkout, making it easier to earn free groceries.
If a store doesn’t have a loyalty card, this app still lets you earn cash back. Simply select your coupons, make a purchase, and submit a photo of your receipt through the app. Once Coupons.com verifies your purchase, you receive cash back via PayPal.
To boost your monthly savings, make an effort to maximize coupon usage alongside rebate offers from apps like Ibotta. A few simple apps can turn your smartphone into quite the money-saving resource without requiring much extra effort when shopping.
Regardless of how frugal you are, you always have to spend money on groceries and household essentials. There are plenty of grocery rebate and cash-back apps out there that claim they help reduce these expenses, but not every app is worth your time.
When it comes to rebates, Ibotta is the benchmark of what you want in an app. Lucrative rebates, hundreds of partners, and an intuitive app make it easy to benefit from downloading Ibotta.
Similarly, you can increase your monthly savings even further by trying out additional reward apps. By mixing rebates, automatic cash back, and coupon codes whenever you shop, it’s possible to find meaningful savings as long as you’re consistent. Give some of them a try for a few months. You might be pleasantly surprised at just how much money you end up saving.
Have you tried any of these rewards apps? Do you have a favorite money-saving app you can’t live without?