This article is part of the Money Crashers Natural Medicine Cabinet Series, outlining 20 of the top natural home remedies and treatment.
I’ve written about the many uses of baking soda, and I’m a huge fan. When I buy it, I get it in the jumbo, 13.5 lb. bag from Costco, and I use the stuff for everything.
Although a lot of people use baking soda for cooking and cleaning, most don’t know that baking soda is a powerful healer as well. In fact, Reader’s Digest classifies baking soda as a Top 20 Household Healer in their book 1,801 Home Remedies: Trustworthy Treatments for Everyday Health Problems. Entire books have been written about baking soda because it’s considered by many to be a miracle product.
So, how can baking soda help keep you healthy?
Health Benefits of Baking Soda
1. Treat Colds and the Flu In 1918, the Spanish flu was sweeping the country. This deadly strain of the flu ended up killing an incredible 50 to 100 million people worldwide, 3-6% of the world’s population at that time. And yet doctors eventually figured out that there was a fairly effective way to prevent the flu, or cure it in its early stages. The answer lied with baking soda.
A prominent physician named Dr. Volney S. Cheney discovered that very few people who took baking soda contracted the disease at the time, and those who did contract it had very mild attacks.
So, what’s the recommended dose if you want to use baking soda to treat a cold or flu?
- Day 1: Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water, every 2 hours – 6 dosages total.
- Day 2: Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water, every 2 hours – 4 dosages total.
- Day 3: Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water, once in the morning and in the evening – 2 dosages total.
- Day 4+: Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water, once each morning until cold is cured.
As cheap as baking soda is, this is an incredibly frugal way to create a natural cold and flu remedy at home.
2. Eliminate Stinky Breath
Baking soda works wonders eliminating bad odors. And, that includes bad breath.
Simply mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, to gargle.
3. Treat Bladder Infections
Bacteria love slightly acidic environments, which is why so many people get bladder infections. The environment in the bladder is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria.
You can effectively treat bladder infections by mixing baking soda and water, and drinking it daily until the infection is gone. Dosages vary, so you might want to start with half a teaspoon of baking soda in one cup of water.
4. Soothe Sunburns and Other Skin Irritations
Baking soda is wonderfully soothing for sunburns, bites, and other skin irritations. Simply mix baking soda with a bit of water until it forms a paste, and then dab it on the affected area. For sunburns, add plenty of baking soda to your bath water for a soothing soak.
5. Deodorize Stinky Feet
Soaking stinky feet in a bowl of baking soda and water will neutralize bacterial acid, and eliminate the stink.
6. Protect Your Tooth Enamel
Some foods, like lemon juice, eat away at your tooth enamel. To protect your enamel, mix baking soda with water and gargle several times a day. Alternatively, brushing your teeth with baking soda toothpaste will protect your enamel as well.
7. Ease a Sore Throat
Gargling with a mixture of baking soda and water can help ease your sore throat because the remedy eliminates pain-causing acids. Gargle every four hours for best results.
I’ve used several of these baking soda remedies many times, and can tell you first hand that they truly work.
Which of these uses for baking soda do you find most useful for your health? Are there any other remedies for baking soda that you discovered and are not covered here?