If you live in the United States, chances are you do some of your health and wellness shopping at Walgreens.
The pharmacy chain is an iconic American brand. According to Walgreens, 78% of the U.S. population lives within 5 miles of a Walgreens, and there are more than 9,000 Walgreens stores across the country.
Walgreens makes shopping for pharmacy services, health care products, and beauty supplies easy. The convenient shopping experience Walgreens provides can quickly drain your wallet if you’re not careful, however.
Ways to Save Money at Walgreens
Thankfully, there are numerous ways to save money at Walgreens. Use these money-saving tricks the next time you shop.
1. Sign Up for Walgreens Balance Rewards
Often the most effective way to save money at a major retailer is to sign up for its rewards platform and credit card. For example, Walmart has its Walmarts Reward Card and Target offers the Target REDcard;. Similarly the easiest way to save money at Walgreens is to sign up for Walgreens Balance Rewards.
Balance Rewards make it easy to save money whenever you shop at Walgreens. It doesn’t matter if you shop in-store, online, or from the Walgreens App. However you shop; a Balance Rewards membership cuts down on costs.
Features of the Walgreens Balance Rewards program include:
- Everyday Points. Earn 10 points for every $1 you spend (1% cash back) on almost all purchases at Walgreens.
- Save Online. Link your membership card to your Walgreens.com account to earn points for shopping online.
- Pharmacy Bonuses. Get more points for all pharmacy prescriptions and vaccines.
- Bonus Offers. Purchase specially marked products in-store or online to earn additional Balance Reward points.
1,000 Balance Reward points equals $1 USD. You can redeem your points when you reach $1. Points are redeemable in-store or online up to a maximum of $50 per transaction.
Balance Reward points expire after one year. You can link up to four Balance Reward cards under a single family account, which can help you earn enough points to cash out before they expire.
2. Install the Walgreens App
The Walgreens app makes it easy to refill prescriptions, consult a pharmacist, and use the Walgreens photo center.The app also lets shoppers save more money by providing easy access to coupons and deals.
With the Walgreens app, it’s easy to browse through the Weekly Ad section and to clip paperless coupons. At checkout, you can use the app to redeem coupons, earn Balance Reward points, or pay through Google Pay, Samsung Pay, or Apple Pay.
The mobile app also allows you to browse stores to check product availability and to compare prices between in-store and online products. If you’re shopping for expensive beauty or healthcare products, this feature is excellent for finding more affordable alternatives.
The Walgreens app is available for Android and iOS devices. It’s a must-download because it makes money-saving features such as Weekly Ads and coupons more accessible.
3. Shop With a Cash-Back Credit Card
Shopping with a cash-back credit card is an effective way to save money at Walgreens.
Walgreens accepts a wide range of payment methods in-store and online, including Mastercard, Discover Network, and American Express. Although Walgreens, unfortunately, lacks its own rewards credit card, you can earn cash back with other cards while also earning Balance Rewards points.
Several cash-back credit cards to consider include:
- Bank of America Cash Rewards Credit Card. This zero-fee card provides 3% cash back for a category of your choice, 2% at grocery stores, and 1% everywhere else. You can choose pharmacies as your 3% category. You also earn a $200 bonus for spending $1,000 within the first 90 days of opening your account.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited. Earn 1.5% cash back on most purchases and 5% on rotating quarterly categories, which can include pharmacies. This card has no annual fee, and you earn a $150 bonus when you spend at least $500 on eligible purchases in the first three months.
- Amazon Prime Rewards Card by Chase. This card pays 5% cash back on Amazon.com if you’re a Prime Member. You also earn 2% cash back at restaurants, gas stations, and pharmacies, as well as 1% everywhere else. Redeem cash back on Amazon purchases or through cash, gift cards, and travel rewards.
Ultimately, which credit card you choose is up to you. What’s important is taking advantage of any cash-back reward options you have when shopping at Walgreens.
4. Make Use of Coupons & Registry Rewards
There are multiple ways to make use of coupons at Walgreens.
The easiest way is through Registry Rewards (RR). At Walgreens, certain products award you an RR coupon upon purchase. These are manufacturer coupons you can use on future purchases to save money at Walgreens.
For example, if you purchase toothpaste and receive a $1 RR coupon for the same brand of toothpaste, you can use the RR coupon on your next shopping trip. It’s basically a rebate program, except your savings take place on your next purchase.
The easiest way to find RR coupons is to look in the Weekly Ads section or browse in-store products. Stacking Registry Rewards plus coupons from Weekly Ads is the most effective way to save. Just be sure to review the limitations for the Registry Rewards program and Walgreens’ coupon policies:
- Multiple Coupons. The total number of coupons, including manufacturer coupons, can’t exceed the number of items in the transaction. Otherwise, you can stack manufacturer coupons and Walgreens coupons unless specific terms prohibit doing so.
- Total Coupon Value. The total value of all coupons can’t exceed the value of the transaction.
- Registry Rewards Limit. There’s a limit of one RR coupon per offer per transaction. You can’t use an RR coupon to unlock another RR coupon for immediate use.
- Coupon Expiration. RR coupons expire in 15 days.
- BOGO Deals. You must purchase at least one product as part of a buy one, get one (BOGO) offer.
Note that coupons can prevent you from earning Balance Reward points if you aren’t careful. For example, if there’s an offer to earn 10,000 Balance Reward points for spending $50 or more but your coupons drop your transaction total below that requirement, you don’t earn the points. Keep this in mind when calculating how much coupons will actually save you.
5. Become a Beauty Enthusiast
If you purchase beauty supplies, sign up to become a Beauty Enthusiast.
As a way to encourage shoppers to buy beauty supplies from its stores, Walgreens offers members of its Beauty Enthusiast program access to several money-saving perks, including:
- Extra Balance Reward Points. Earn 5,000 points for every $50 spent on beauty products.
- Bonus Coupon. Receive a digital coupon for 20x everyday points when you sign up.
- Exclusive Promotions. Gain access to free samples and beauty product discounts.
Eligible products in the Beauty Enthusiast program include cosmetics, skin and hair care products, fragrances, bath products, and beauty accessories. Joining the program is easy. All you need is your Balance Rewards account number or a phone number, ZIP code, and email address.
6. Find Exclusive Online Deals
Walgreens already makes it easy to shop online by offering free shipping on most products regardless of your order total. Walgreens.com also offers exclusive online deals. The Walgreens Online Deals section of the site has a range of rotating offers.
Examples of online-only deals include:
- Price Cuts. Many products are on sale at discounts of 25% to 50% off.
- Bonus Balance Reward Points. Earn thousands of Balance Reward Points for buying specially marked items.
- Buy One Get X. There are plenty of BOGO offers and “Buy one, get X percent off” deals available online.
- Rebates. Earn cash rebates for buying specific products.
Balance Rewards members also earn points for shopping online. In addition, the Promotion Terms page often lists online coupon codes new customers can use to earn even more discounts at checkout, so be sure to check this page to save money on your first Walgreens purchase.
7. Shop Online With Cash-Back Sites & Apps
Using Rakuten and Honey together is an incredibly effective money-saving combination. Here’s how each platform works:
- Rakuten: Earn cash back for shopping through Rakuten’s web portal at thousands of retailers.
- Honey: This browser extension automatically applies coupon codes at checkout to find the best deals possible.
Rakuten offers up to 3% cash back at Walgreens. To earn this cash back, just create a free account at Rakuten and visit Rakuten’s Walgreens page before shopping at Walgreens.com. Your cash back appears in your Rakuten wallet. Rakuten pays through PayPal every quarter as long as you hold more than $5 in your account.
Like other shopping browser extensions, all you have to do to save with Honey is install the Honey browser extension. When you shop, Honey alerts you if there are coupon codes available and applies them at checkout.
Honey also offers a cash-back side of their platform known as Honey Gold. This feature lets you earn even more cash back at select retailers, including Walgreens., Honey Gold provides 1% to 5% cash back at Walgreens.
Honey Gold is redeemable for a variety of gift cards to merchants like Amazon, Walmart, Target, and Macy’s.
8. Shop On Senior Discount Days & Use AARP Benefits
If you’re over age 55, Walgreens offers you even more ways to save money in-store and online.
Every Tuesday is Senior Savings Day at Walgreens. Seniors can save money online by buying eligible regular price items from Walgreens brands and using the code “SENIOR30” to save 30% at checkout. Similarly, using the code “SENIOR20” saves 20% on all eligible non-Walgreens brands.
Note that these coupon codes only apply to regularly priced items. You can only use one coupon code per transaction.
If you’re an AARP member, you can save even more by linking your Balance Rewards card and AARP membership card online.
There are several ways to save as an AARP member at Walgreens, including:
- Vaccinations. Earn 1,000 Balance Rewards Points per vaccination.
- 5X Everyday Points. Earn 5 times the points for everyday purchases of Walgreens health and wellness products.
- Beauty Benefits. Earn 3 times the points on all beauty product purchases.
AARP membership benefits apply in-store and online. Simply link your card online through your Walgreens.com account to start benefiting from this program.
9. Join The Prescriptions Savings Club
- Prescription Discounts. Save on more than 8,000 prescriptions. You can save even more on generic medications; see Walgreens’ value-price medication list for current prices.
- Immunization Savings. Receive 5% to 20% off most immunizations.
- Additional Savings. Enjoy discounts on various pet medications, all compound medications, nebulizers, and diabetic supplies with a prescription.
- Healthcare Clinic Services Discount. Save 10% on clinic services.
The Prescriptions Saving Club costs $20 for individuals and $35 for families per year. Individuals benefiting from Medicare, Medicaid, or Tricare programs are ineligible.
Although this program is not an insurance plan, if you don’t have insurance or you have prescriptions your insurance doesn’t cover, this program is an effective way to reduce your medication costs. The Prescription Savings Club also applies to refilling prescriptions online, making it even easier to save.
10. Auto-Reorder & Save
If you find yourself regularly buying the same products from Walgreens each month, you can save up to 20% by using the auto-reorder feature.
The auto-reorder feature is similar to Amazon’s Subscribe and Save or Target Subscriptions. This service provides 10% off plus free shipping starting on your second delivery, and Walgreens products are eligible for up to 20% in discounts.
Popular categories for auto-reordering include wellness products, vitamins and supplements, household goods, beauty supplies, and baby products.
Auto-Reorder and Save works in three steps:
- Select Products. Choose from thousands of everyday products at Walgreens.com.
- Choose a Delivery Schedule. Select how often you want your deliveries. You can skip or cancel your order any time without incurring fees.
- Get Regular Shipments. Enjoy your favorite products at a discount.
There is no minimum order requirement to get free shipping. If a product on your order goes on sale, you receive the greater of the two possible discounts.
11. Shop With A Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
A flexible spending account (FSA) is an account you can use to pay for out-of-pocket health care expenses. You need to work for an employer who offers an FSA to make use of this account, so this option won’t work for self-employed individuals. Using an FSA helps you save money because you don’t pay income taxes on the money in the account.
Walgreens has a wide variety of FSA-eligible products, including:
- Contact lenses
- Home medical equipment
- First aid supplies
- Pain relief products
- Family planning products
- Baby supplies
- Vitamins and supplements
Walgreens also has an FSA Sale section, making it even easier to save on health care supplies.
You can use your FSA card in-store and online. Be sure to read the Walgreens FSA terms or consult your health care provider to learn more about your personal FSA account.
12. Switch to Sprint for Free Gift Cards
Balance Rewards members don’t just save money on everyday purchases or pharmacy expenses. Walgreens also has member-only sign-up offers that are a great way to earn free Walgreens gift cards.
For example, Balance Rewards members can earn up to $200 for switching to Sprint. If you’re already a Sprint customer, you can earn $100 in Walgreens gift cards per year for being a loyal Sprint member.
There are some terms to note for this promotion:
- Potential $200 Bonus. Activate a new phone line on an eligible plan and register at Sprint.com/BalanceRewards to receive $100 per new line for up to two lines.
- Loyalty Bonus. Earn $100 per year in Walgreens gift cards for active Sprint accounts.
- Phone Plan Requirements. You must have an Unlimited, Plus, or Premium plan on one phone line to qualify for this promotion.
13. Subscribe to the Walgreens Newsletter
If you prefer getting coupons and deals via email, sign up for the Walgreens newsletter to ensure you don’t miss out on savings.
You can tailor your email subscription to include only the information you want from the following Walgreens categories:
- Healthcare Clinic. Learn more about special offers and services at Walgreens clinics.
- Health & Wellness Resources. Receive seasonal health advisories and pharmacy service information.
- Balance Rewards Offers. Gain access to members-only offers and an overview of your account balance.
- Extra Deals. Get weekly updates on in-store deals and online-exclusives.
- Weekly Ads. Catch up on Walgreens Weekly Ads via email.
This newsletter is free, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
14. Shop for the Right Tags
Like many other major retailers, Walgreens uses a tag system in its stores to distinguish products that are on clearance or at a discount.
Orange tags mean products are on clearance, so it’s a good idea to buy these items quickly before they’re gone for good.
Red tags mean a product has a lower price than normal. If you need the product in question within the next few weeks, it’s probably a good idea to buy it at this lower price point.
If you’re shopping for health and wellness products or refilling a prescription, you can probably find what you need at Walgreens. Walgreens makes it easy to find affordable prices and satisfy all of your wellness needs in one place. However, if you aren’t careful, health-related expenses can still get out of hand.
Use a multitude of strategies to cut down on your Walgreens spending. Even incorporating a few of the above money-saving tips can put a significant dent in your annual health care expenses. ANd hen you consider how easy most of these tips are — such as using the Walgreens App to find coupons or joining programs like the Prescriptions Saving Club — there’s no excuse for not saving.
After all, every dollar counts. Put in the effort to save, and you’ll be surprised at how much of a positive impact it has on your finances.
Do you have a favorite Walgreens savings tip? Which of these strategies are you most excited to try?