Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
- Sign-Up Bonus: Earn 10,000 bonus SkyMiles after you make at least $500 in qualifying purchases within 3 months of opening your account.
- Rewards: Unlimited 2 SkyMiles per $1 spent on restaurant and Delta purchases; unlimited 1 SkyMile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Benefits: 20% off eligible in-flight Delta purchases
- Fees: No foreign transaction fee; balance transfers cost greater of $5 or 3%
- Annual Fee: $0
- Credit Needed: Good to excellent
- Terms and conditions apply: See rates & fees
The Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card is an entry-level travel rewards credit card for regular Delta flyers. While there’s nothing particularly fancy or unusual about it, Delta SkyMiles Blue is a fine choice for travelers seeking a low-cost, no-frills spending aid that gets them closer to free airfare and class upgrades.
If this card’s name rings a bell, it’s because it’s one of three “color” cards backed by American Express and Delta. Its bigger, more generous cousins are Delta SkyMiles Gold and Delta SkyMiles Platinum. Both those cards have annual fees, though, so Blue is ideal for more frugal flyers.
Let’s take a closer look at what you can expect from Delta SkyMiles Blue.
These are the key features of the Delta SkyMiles Blue American Express Card.
Earn 10,000 bonus SkyMiles after you make at least $500 in qualifying purchases within 3 months of opening your account.
Earning Delta SkyMiles
This card earns 2 SkyMiles per $1 spent on eligible worldwide restaurant and Delta purchases. All other purchases earn unlimited 1 SkyMile per $1 spent.
Redeeming Delta SkyMiles
The best way to redeem your accumulated SkyMiles is for Delta award airfare and fare upgrades. Redemption thresholds are variable with the underlying dollar cost of fares, seasonality, and other factors.
You can also redeem your SkyMiles in the online SkyMiles MarketPlace for merchandise, gift cards, and experiences. Redemption rates are usually below $0.01 per mile in the SkyMiles MarketPlace.
Delta In-Flight Discount
When you use your Delta SkyMiles Blue card to pay for eligible in-flight Delta purchases, you get a 20% discount. There’s no limit to your potential savings with this benefit.
This card has no annual fee or foreign transaction fee. Cash advances cost the greater of $5 or 3% of the advanced amount.
This card requires good to excellent credit. Any notable credit blemishes could adversely affect your application.
- No Annual Fee. Delta SkyMiles Blue has no annual fee. This is great news for light spenders and others whose top priority is maximizing the value of their earned rewards.
- Elevated Earning Rate at Restaurants. This card earns 2 SkyMiles per $1 spent on more than just Delta airfare. In Blue’s case, it’s restaurants worldwide. That makes this card a great help for frequent diners looking for new opportunities to save money eating out.
- 20% Discount on In-Flight Delta Purchases. Most Delta in-flight purchases qualify for 20% off when you use your card. Eligible purchases include food, beverages, and entertainment.
- Decent Sign-Up Bonus. This card has a solid sign-up bonus that’s better than many no-annual-fee travel cards.
- No Foreign Transaction Fee. This card’s foreign transaction fee waiver is great for frequent international travelers.
- Low Baseline Earning Rate. This card earns just 1 SkyMile per $1 spent on most eligible purchases. Only restaurant and Delta purchases earn at higher rates. If you’re looking for a better return on general spending, check out general-spending options like Capital One Venture Rewards, which earns unlimited 2 points per $1 spent on eligible purchases – a 2% rate of return.
- No Framework for Accelerated Loyalty Status. Delta SkyMiles Blue doesn’t earn any Medallion Qualification Miles, Delta’s loyalty status currency. This is a big drawback for frequent Delta flyers looking to partake in Medallion status benefits sooner than they’d otherwise be able to through Delta travel alone.
- Few Delta Benefits. Beyond the 20% discount on in-flight purchases, this card doesn’t have much in the way of Delta-related benefits. For a more generous lineup, check out the Delta SkyMiles Reserve American Express Card – if you can afford the $550 annual fee.
The Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card isn’t the fanciest airline credit card in the world; however, there’s something to be said for its simplicity. If your top priority is earning Delta SkyMiles over and above what you’d accumulate simply by purchasing Delta airfare, you’re not going to come away disappointed here.
For rates and fees of the Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card, please visit this rates and fees page.
Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
The Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card is a no-frills airline credit card built for frequent Delta flyers who don’t spend enough to warrant a more generous annual-fee card. It’s not appropriate for jet-setters seeking high-end perks or benefits, such as complimentary airport lounge access or Delta Medallion status.