Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express is an airline credit card for frequent Delta flyers who like to travel in comfort and style. The rewards scheme is similar to the Gold Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card from American Express, with the important addition of a loyalty component that accelerates heavy spenders’ progress toward Delta’s coveted Medallion status tiers.
Used properly, the Medallion benefit can be incredibly valuable, and arguably alone makes Platinum Delta SkyMiles worthwhile. Aside from the rewards program, this card has a host of generous perks and benefits that collectively outshine those of many competing cards.
On the other hand, Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business’s generous travel rewards come at a price: a $195 annual fee, charged from the first year onward. If you don’t take ample advantage of this card’s rewards and benefits, it may wind up costing more than it’s worth. On the other hand, if you use this card as it’s meant to be used, you’ll reap the rewards (literally).
Earn 10,000 bonus Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) (which count toward Delta’s Medallion loyalty status) and 70,000 bonus Delta SkyMiles (redeemable for award airfare and more) when you spend at least $3,000 in purchases on your card within 3 months of opening your account.
Delta Medallion Program
Prospective Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business cardholders need to understand how Delta’s Medallion status program works.
The program has four tiers: Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond. All are designed to reward frequent Delta flyers with benefits such as priority boarding, waived fees (such as baggage and standby fees), complimentary class and preferred seating upgrades, and accelerated MQM and SkyMiles earnings. Benefit generosity increases with each status tier, with Diamond members enjoying complimentary Delta Sky Club membership and two complimentary Global Entry application vouchers.
To achieve these tiers, you need to earn requisite combinations of MQMs (multiples of total flight distance flown on each flight, usually 100% of distance flown on economy flights and 200% of distance flown in first class) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs, or Delta flight segments) and Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs, or certain fare dollars spent with Delta: base fares, surcharges, and some upgrades) within a calendar year. Once earned, Medallion status remains in force for the remainder of the current year and the entire following year.
Status level requirements are as follows:
- Silver Medallion Status: 25,000 MQMs or 30 MQSs and $3,000 MQDs
- Gold Medallion Status: 50,000 MQMs or 60 MQSs and $6,000 MQDs
- Platinum Medallion Status: 75,000 MQMs or 100 MQSs and $9,000 MQDs
- Diamond Medallion Status: 125,000 MQMs or 140 MQSs and $15,000 MQDs
All eligible Delta purchases (airfare, in-flight purchases, Sky Club airport lounge passes, and other incidental expenditures) earn unlimited 2 Delta SkyMiles per $1 spent. All other eligible purchases earn 1 SkyMile per $1 spent, also with no limits.
The best way to redeem your SkyMiles is for Delta airfare. Redemption thresholds generally start at 10,000 SkyMiles for certain domestic economy one-ways, or 12,500 SkyMiles for a wider range of domestic flights on flexible travel dates. However, redemption requirements are subject to change, and some travel times, dates, and destinations (such as peak-season weekend flights to popular vacation destinations) require more SkyMiles.
SkyMiles’ redemption values vary, generally falling between $0.005 to $0.02 per mile at redemption, but sometimes higher or lower. Delta’s new Pay With Miles feature, an exclusive benefit for Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles cardholders, lets you use SkyMiles for partial airfare redemptions and pay the remainder of the ticket value with cash. Such redemptions always value SkyMiles at $0.01 each and require at least 5,000 SkyMiles – for example, a 5,000-SkyMile Pay With Miles redemption produces a $50 fare reduction.
You can also redeem SkyMiles at the Delta SkyMiles MarketPlace for merchandise, special experiences (such as musical performances), and gift cards. Miles redeemed for MarketPlace purchases are usually worth less than miles redeemed for airfare – in some cases, far less than $0.01 apiece. On the bright side, MarketPlace redemption sometimes require as few as 2,000 SkyMiles.
Companion Certificate Benefit
Every year your card account remains open and in good standing, you receive one companion certificate. Companion certificates can be redeemed for one domestic economy round-trip fare, provided the flyer travels with the primary cardholder and both tickets (or, in the companion fare’s case, government taxes and fees) are purchased with the primary cardholder’s Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business card.
Annual SkyMiles and MQMs Bonus
If you charge at least $25,000 to your card in a calendar year, you receive 10,000 bonus SkyMiles and 10,000 bonus Medallion Qualifying Miles. If you charge at least $50,000 within a calendar year, you get another 10,000 SkyMiles and 10,000 MQMs. This equates to a total annual spending bonus of 20,000 SkyMiles and 20,000 MQMs.
MQD Waiver With Sufficient Spending
If you earn enough MQMs or Medallion Qualifying Segments (MQSs) to reach a given Medallion status level and spend at least $25,000 in the same calendar year, Delta waives the Medallion Qualifying Dollar requirements for that tier. For example, if you earn 75,000 MQMs – enough to qualify for Platinum Medallion status – you don’t need the $9,000 MQDs normally required to actually earn Platinum status.
Delta Travel Benefits
In addition to the companion certificate benefit, Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business has other valuable Delta travel benefits:
- One free checked bag for the cardholder (a $25 value per segment)
- 20% off all in-flight purchases (including food and entertainment) when you pay with your American Express Delta card
- Priority boarding
- Up to three discounted Delta Sky Club (airport lounge) passes at $29 each per trip (regular value $5 each)
Additional Travel Benefits
Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business’s additional travel benefits, all underwritten by American Express, include:
- Baggage insurance for lost, stolen, or damaged baggage
- Complimentary loss and damage coverage for rental cars charged in full to your Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business card
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- 24/7 global assistance for long-distance travelers
- Accidental death and dismemberment travel insurance
Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business has some useful shopping benefits underwritten by American Express, including purchase protection (reimbursement) for items broken or stolen within 3 months of purchase and up to one-year extended warranties on items with original warranties of five years or less.
Additional Business Benefits
Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business has some non-travel benefits for business owners, including:
- Digital receipt storage
- The flexibility to designate an employee as your account manager, whose privileges include the ability to resolve transaction disputes with merchants
- Access to the OPEN Forum, a knowledge base with insights sourced from fellow Amex business cardholders and recognized business experts
- Category-based expense tagging and tracking
There is a $195 annual fee. Cash advances cost the greater of $5 or 3%. Late and returned payments both cost up to $38. Terms and conditions apply – see rates and fees.
This card requires good to excellent credit.
- MQM Bonus and MQD Waiver Dramatically Accelerate Medallion Status Progress. Once you reach $25,000 in annual spending with this card, you earn a 10,000 MQM bonus and an MQD waiver, which renders MQDs irrelevant in status tier calculations for the remainder of the current year. If you hit $50,000, you earn another 10,000 MQMs, for a 20,000-MQM bonus in total. Put another way, that’s 80% of the way to the next-highest status tier (Diamond excepted).
- Great Welcome Offer. Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business has a generous welcome offer: If you spend at least $3,000 within 3 months, you get 70,000 bonus SkyMiles (good for up to 6 domestic one-way fares) and 10,000 MQMs (20% of the way to Medallion Silver status, the lowest Medallion tier). This is a better deal than most other business travel cards, including some competing American Express and Delta credit cards.
- Free Companion Airfare Every Year. This card awards a complimentary companion airfare certificate every year your account remains open and in good standing. This benefit is redeemable for any domestic round-trip fare, pegging its potential value at several hundred dollars. Companion fare benefits are distressingly rare in the business travel card space, and those that exist – such as Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Business’s $121 companion fare – aren’t as attractive.
- Annual SkyMiles Bonus Can Fund One Round Trip or Two One-Ways. This card’s total annual SkyMiles bonus – 20,000 SkyMiles when you spend at least $50,000 per year – is sufficient to cover two free domestic one-ways or one free domestic round trip. That’s a nice little bonus, especially considering you’ll likely have Medallion status (translating, potentially, to a free class upgrade) by the time you redeem your award.
- OPEN Savings Benefit Boosts Spending Power at Popular Merchants. This card awards 5% off spending with OPEN Savings partners – an effective 5% cash back rate on purchases with popular merchants such as Hertz (potentially popular with business travelers) and FedEx. This is a big advantage over non-Amex cards, which don’t belong to the OPEN Savings network.
- Discounted Airport Lounge Passes. This card’s airport lounge benefit – $30 off Sky Club passes for you and up to two companions – is worth up to $90 every time you fly. If you have time to kill between flights, why not take advantage?
- High Annual Fee. Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business’s $195 annual fee is higher than many competing business cards’, and isn’t waived during the first year your account is open. To make this recurring charge worthwhile, you need to use this card (and its non-SkyMiles benefits) heavily.
- Airfare Rewards and Redemption Aren’t Versatile. SkyMiles aren’t the most versatile travel rewards currency in the world – they’re only good for award travel on Delta. If you don’t want to feel pressured to remain loyal to Delta, or don’t live near an airport served by Delta, consider a general purpose travel card such as American Express Business Platinum or Capital One Spark Miles for Business.
- Non-Delta Spending Earns Rewards Slowly. Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business accrues just 1 SkyMile per $1 in eligible non-Delta spending. That’s a decidedly mediocre rate. If earning rewards quickly is important to you, look for a business travel card that earns 1.5 points per $1 spent (Capital One Spark Miles Select) or 2 points per $1 spent (Capital One Spark Miles) on all spending – though remember that SkyMiles can be worth more than Capital One’s No Hassle Miles.
- MarketPlace Redemptions Offer Poor Value. The SkyMiles MarketPlace is usually not a good place to redeem your accumulated SkyMiles. That’s because MarketPlace redemptions often value points at well under $0.01 apiece, compared with upwards of $0.01 apiece (in many cases) for airfare redemptions. It only makes sense to redeem SkyMiles at the MarketPlace if you don’t plan to travel anytime soon – and, if that’s the case, you should strongly consider ditching this card anyway.
Many U.S. business owners live close to an airport served by Delta, a huge airline with three principal U.S. hubs, several major “focus” cities, and hundreds of domestic and international destinations. If you’re one of them, you probably won’t have trouble earning and redeeming SkyMiles with the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express.
On the other hand, if you don’t live near a Delta airport, another business travel credit card (perhaps a more general card, such as Capital One Spark Miles) is probably a better bet. And, if your credit isn’t in excellent shape or you’re just not sure you’ll earn rewards fast enough to offset this card’s annual fee, a less costly (and less generous) card is likely to suit you better.