Learn more about this card and find out how you can apply here.
The information related to the Disney® Visa® Card has been collected by Money Crashers and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card.
The Disney® Visa® Card is a rewards credit card with no annual fee and a modest and somewhat unusual cash back rewards program that favors enthusiastic Disney fans. The card earns unlimited 1% back on all purchases. Rewards accrue as Disney reward dollars, a special loyalty currency with a fixed redemption value of $0.01 per point. Rewards can be redeemed for a wide range of Disney-branded purchases, including merchandise, theme park admission, resort lodging, and more. However, they’re not as good as cash, as they can’t be redeemed for statement credits, bank account deposits, or credits against airfare.
The Disney Visa Card also offers a slew of discounts and VIP perks for Disney loyalists. These include discounts on merchandise, theme park tours, and dining, as well as special financing on Disney vacation packages and interests in resort real estate, such as timeshares. If you or someone in your family is a Disney fan who wears their loyalty on their sleeve (and in their wallet), this card is definitely worth a closer look.
You receive a $50 Disney gift card when you open your credit card account and make your first purchase. The card can be applied toward online and offline purchases of Disney merchandise at Disney-branded retail locations, purchases on Disney resort grounds and cruise ships, and purchases of Disney experiences and vacation packages. Keep in mind that this is a physical gift card that cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.
Earning Disney Rewards
All purchases made with this card earn an unlimited 1% back. Rewards take the form of Disney reward dollars (points), which have a fixed redemption value of $0.01 per point.
Redeeming Disney Rewards
Reward dollars can be redeemed for a wide range of Disney-branded purchases, including clothing, DVDs, toys, movie tickets, Disney theme park tickets, Disney resort lodging, Disney restaurant dining, and more. However, reward dollars cannot be redeemed for cash, non-Disney merchandise, travel, or anything else.
Disney and Star Wars Merchandise Discounts
In addition to the Disney reward dollars system, this card offers a slew of financial benefits for Disney enthusiasts. For instance, cardholders earn 10% discounts on merchandise purchases worth $50 or more at select retailers on the grounds of Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Resort, Disney’s Beach Resort destinations, and the Aulani Disney Resort & Spa in Hawaii.
Disney Dining Discounts
Disney Recreation Discounts
Cardholders get 10% off the full, non-discounted price of select recreation experiences at Walt Disney World and Disneyland, including carriage rides and horseback trail rides.
Exclusive Access to Disney and Star Wars Events at Disney Resorts and Stores
Cardholders have exclusive access to cardholder-only locations reserved for meet-and-greets and photo opportunities with popular Disney characters. These locations can be found on the grounds of Walt Disney World and Disneyland.
VIP Theatrical Performance Admission
Cardholders automatically get VIP treatment at select Disney Broadway performances, including “Aladdin” and “The Lion King.” VIP packages include complimentary drinks, keepsake photographs, and preferred seating.
Choice of Card Faces
You can choose from one of 10 available card designs. Options include “Sorcerer Mickey,” Star Wars droids, Yoda, Darth Vader, “Pixie Dust,” and more.
Special Financing on Disney Vacation Packages and Real Estate Purchases
The Disney Visa Card comes with a somewhat unorthodox financing promotion that waives interest on purchases of select Disney vacation packages and ownership interests in Disney resort real estate for 6 months from the date of purchase. Following the 6-month mark, such purchases accrue interest at the regular purchase rate of 16.24%, subject to variation with prevailing interest rates.
This card has no annual fee, but there is a 3% foreign transaction fee. Balance transfers cost the greater of $5 or 3% of the transferred amount, while cash advances cost the greater of $10 or 3%. Late payments cost up to $35, and returned payments cost up to $29.
This card requires good to excellent credit. If you have any notable blemishes in your credit history, your application may be in jeopardy.
- No Annual Fee. The Disney Visa Card has no annual fee. That’s great news for frugal cardholders who can’t afford to pay a recurring levy just to keep this card in their wallets, and who don’t earn rewards quickly enough to offset a potential annual fee in any case.
- Tons of Disney Perks. Aside from the lack of an annual fee, the single biggest reason to keep this card in your wallet is probably to take advantage of the extensive lineup of Disney-related perks. These include the ability to redeem rewards on virtually any Disney-branded purchase, the ability to redeem on Disney vacation purchases, exclusive meet-and-greet and event access at Disney properties, 10% discounts on larger purchases at Disney resort properties, VIP theatrical performance packages, 10% discounts on dining and recreation at Disney resorts, and special financing options at Disney vacation packages. If you or a close family member love Disney and want a credit card that reduces the cost of indulging your hobby, the Disney Rewards Visa Card is for you.
- No Blackout Dates on Vacation Redemptions. The Disney Visa Card has no blackout dates on vacation redemptions. This is potentially valuable, given the high demand for Disney vacation packages, on-resort lodging, and theme park admission.
- Can’t Redeem for Actual Cash. The biggest drawback of the Disney Visa Card is probably the inflexibility of its rewards program. You can’t redeem rewards earned with this card for straight cash or statement credits – a key disadvantage relative to general-purpose cash back credit cards such as Discover it and Chase Freedom Unlimited. You also can’t redeem rewards earned with this card for travel discounts. That’s a disadvantage relative to the more generous Disney Premier Visa Card, which allows airfare redemptions.
- Modest Sign-up Bonus. This card’s sign-up bonus is worth $50 toward Disney purchases. Though $50 is nothing to sneeze at, this is a far cry from sign-up bonuses offered by many cash back rewards and travel rewards credit cards, which tend to be north of $100. Plus, it can only be used on Disney purchases. That’s a drawback for cardholders seeking more flexible redemption options.
- Mediocre Rewards Rate. Though there’s no limit to how much you can earn, this card only earns 1% back on purchases. That’s a sub-par rewards rate that many cash back credit cards exceed by a substantial margin – for example, the Citi Double Cash Card earns 2% back on all purchases, while the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card earns a flat 1.5% back on all purchases. If your priority is finding a card that maximizes your rewards-earning power, regardless of what your rewards can be redeemed for, you need to look for a broader-based rewards credit card.
- Special Financing Promotion Is Severely Limited. The Disney Visa Card has an unusual APR promotion that offers 0% interest for 6 months following the purchase of select Disney vacation packages or real estate interests, including condos and timeshares. Basically, this is a rolling financing promotion that encourages cardholders to buy expensive Disney-branded experiences and real estate on or near Disney resorts. All other purchases and balance transfers carry the regular interest rate of 16.24%, and there’s no across-the-board introductory 0% APR promotion.
- Has a Foreign Transaction Fee. This card charges a 3% foreign transaction fee, which is bad news for cardholders who regularly travel abroad. Many travel rewards cards waive foreign transaction fees, allowing users to maximize their earning rate no matter where they are.
Visiting a Disney resort is not cheap. If you’re planning a Disney vacation, you need to budget for airfare or road travel, lodging, food, and theme park and attraction admission – all before you spend a dime on Disney-branded merchandise or the myriad special experiences likely to call your name.
It’s inarguable that the Disney® Visa® Card has an excellent lineup of valuable perks for Disney enthusiasts, including discounts on merchandise purchases and special financing for spendy vacation packages. Just remember that most of these perks require you to spend money. From a purely financial perspective, you’d be better off avoiding them completely – though that’s easier said than done when the magic of Disney beckons.
Learn more about this card and find out how you can apply here.