IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card
- Welcome Offer: Earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
- 26x Points: IHG hotels and resorts
- 5x Points: Travel, gas stations, social media, search engine advertising, office supply stores and dining
- 3x Points: All other purchases
- Redeem For: Hotel stays at IHG properties
- Annual Fee: $99
- Credit Needed: Good or better
If your business activities regularly take you on the road, it makes sense to use a credit card that offers the most possible rewards towards a free night’s stay.
The IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card does just that — earning as much as 26 points per $1 spent at IHG hotels across 18 brands, including Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, and Holiday Inn. It also packs valuable non-rewards benefits that help you make the most of your hotel stays.
Intrigued? See what you can expect from the IHG One Rewards Premier Business card, and where it falls short.
What Is the IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card?
Chase’s IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card from Chase is a hotel credit card for small-business owners who frequently stay at IHG hotels and resorts.
The fun begins with an excellent welcome offer: Earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
Moving forward, the IHG One Rewards Premier Business card earns a whopping 26 points per $1 spent on IHG hotels and resorts. This is broken down as follows:
- 10x points on eligible card spending
- 10x points for being an IHG One Rewards Member
- 6x points from your status as a Platinum Elite member — a key benefit of this card
The card also offers 5x points on eligible spending in several broad spending categories:
- Dining, including eligible takeout and delivery
- Gas stations
- Social media advertising
- Search engine advertising
- Office supply stores
On all other purchases, you earn 3 points per $1 spent. You can redeem your points at eligible IHG hotels and resorts.
This card is quite helpful if you value elite status and free night stays. The card comes with automatic Platinum Elite status as long as you remain an IHG One Rewards Premier Business Cardmember. Platinum Elite benefits include promotional discounts on reward nights, guaranteed room availability with adequate advance booking, complimentary room upgrades where available, and early check-in where available.
There’s a $99 annual fee for this card but no foreign transaction fees.
What Sets the IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card Apart?
This card has several features that set it apart from other hotel business credit cards.
- Up to 26x points on eligible purchases. The IHG One Rewards Premier Business card earns a whopping 26 points per $1 spent on eligible purchases at IHG hotels and resorts. This is one of the highest rewards rates of any hotel credit card.
- Excellent welcome offer. This card has one of the best welcome offers in its category, even accounting for IHG One points’ lower redemption values.
- Fourth night free on award redemptions. When you redeem your IHG One points for three consecutive award nights and book an extra night, you get that fourth night free. This can be used an unlimited number of times, which makes this benefit very valuable if you frequently stay four nights or longer at IHG properties.
- IHG One Rewards Platinum Status. The card comes with complimentary Platinum Elite status in the IHG One Rewards program. Notable benefits include priority check-in, complimentary room upgrades (subject to availability), late check-out (also subject to availability), and 60% bonus points on eligible hotel and resort bookings.
Key Features of the IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card
The IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card has a high welcome offer, a very generous rewards program, and some clutch additional benefits for frequent business travelers.
Welcome OfferEarn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
This card earns a whopping 26x points on eligible spending at IHG hotels and resorts. That’s 10x points earned from the card itself, 10x earned as an IHG One Rewards member, and 6x points earned as a Platinum Elite statusholder.
The card also earns 5x points on travel, gas stations, social media and search engine advertising, office supply stores, and dining (including takeout and eligible delivery). On all other eligible purchases, it earns 3x points.
You can redeem your points at eligible IHG hotels and resorts, including Regent, Intercontinental, Kimpton, Even, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Six Senses, Vignette, Hotel Indigo, Voco, Hualuxe, Crowne Plaza, Iberostar, Avid, Atwell Suites, Staybridge Suites, Holiday Inn Club Vacations and Candlewood Suites.
Anniversary Free Night & Fourth Night Free
Each account anniversary year, you earn one anniversary free night, with a current point redemption cap of 40,000 points. You can also use existing points from your IHG One Rewards account to redeem your anniversary night at hotels above the 40,000 point redemption level.
Separately but relatedly, you get the fourth night free when you redeem your points for three consecutive award nights and stay an additional night at the same property.
The IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card is quite beneficial for businesses with higher spending requirements. There are three spending thresholds worth noting:
- If you spend $20,000 in a calendar year, you earn a $100 statement credit and 10,000 bonus points.
- If you spend $40,000 in a calendar year, you qualify for Diamond Elite Status, which includes free breakfast, through December 31st of the following year.
- If you spend $60,000 in a calendar year, you earn an additional free night with a current point redemption cap of 40,000 points.
This card charges a balance transfer fee of $5 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, a cash advance fee of $15 or 5% of the amount of each transaction. There is a $40 late payment fee and a $40 return payment fee.
This $99 annual fee is not waived for the first year. There is no foreign transaction fee.
This card’s additional benefits include:
- 20% off when you purchase IHG One points with your card
- Purchase protection on eligible items up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per account
- Up to $50 in United TravelBank Cash each calendar year
- Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, or NEXUS statement credit up to $100 every four years
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance, with reimbursement up to $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip for prepaid, nonrefundable passenger fares on trips canceled or cut short due to sickness, severe weather, and other covered situations
This card requires good or better credit to qualify. If your FICO score is much below 700, or your personal credit history is limited, then you’ll likely have trouble being approved. However, this is pretty standard for a premium business travel credit card.
Pros & Cons
As with any rewards card, the IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card has plenty of advantages and a few drawbacks.
This card is the complete package. It has a generous rewards program and plenty of benefits for stays at IHG hotels and resorts.
- Earn 26x points on IHG hotel stays. Because this card comes with complimentary Platinum Elite status, it really pays to use it at IHG properties. It offers an extremely high rate of return that’s not matched by other hotel credit cards.
- Receive a free night stay certificate each year. This card offers you a free night stay certificate each year on stays up to 40,000 points. In almost all instances, this certificate is worth much more than the card’s annual fee of $99.
- Get instant Platinum Elite Status. Many hotel credit cards offer basic loyalty status with only a chance to earn higher levels after reaching a certain spending threshold. In contrast, the IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card comes with Platinum Elite status as long as your account remains open and in good standing. That’s just below IHG’s top-tier Diamond Elite status.
The drawbacks of this card are really just things that you might find in other cards that this one lacks. It’s up to you to decide whether they’re deal-breakers.
- No promotional financing offer. Some travel cards have 0% APR financing on new purchases, balance transfers, or both. This one doesn’t. This won’t be an issue for everyone, but it’s worth noting if you have high-interest business credit card debt already.
- Cap on the value of the anniversary free night award. This card offers you a free night certificate each year, but caps its value at 40,000 points. That’s about enough for a mid-tier hotel in a mid-sized city, but excludes their most expensive properties. Thankfully, you can still apply this certificate to properties that require more points, and just redeem additional points to pay the difference.
- IHG points aren’t worth as much as some other points. Just like visiting a country with a less valuable currency, it’s easy to misjudge the value of IHG points. These points are worth about a half a cent each, which is far below the value of World of Hyatt points or most airline miles. It’s not a big problem, but you shouldn’t get too excited to earn a lot of these points.
How the IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card Stacks Up
This card’s closest competitor is probably the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card from American Express. Here’s how the two cards compare.
|IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card||Amex Marriott Bonvoy Business Card|
|Welcome Offer||Excellent||Very good|
|Rewards Rate||Up to 26x points||Up to 6x points|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None||None|
|Credit Needed||Good or better||Good or better|
As with many hotel rewards cards, the IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card is a great choice for small business owners who plan to stay at IHG properties. More so than most cards, this card treats you to a barrage of bonus points and plenty of nonrewards perks when you stay at IHG properties. And when you consider the free night certificate that you receive each year on your account anniversary, it’s clear this card’s benefits easily exceed its nominal cost.
IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card
The IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card has a generous rewards program and boasts complimentary Platinum Elite status, which includes room upgrades, award night discounts and early check-ins. It’s a must for business travelers who regularly stay at IHG properties, and the $99 annual fee is more than fair in light of what you get.