For online business owners, finding the right shopping cart software can be a difficult decision to make. Furthermore, trying to educate yourself on the wide variety of available online shopping carts can be an ineffective use of your time.
Volusion claims to offer the world’s #1 shopping cart software to accept payments from your customers and clients. It is easy to use, and comes with knowledgeable technical support to assist you along the way.
- Templates. Volusion offers more than 120 free templates to choose from for your online store.
- vZoom. This feature enables your customers to zoom in and view the finest details of any product image.
- Color Swatch. The color swatch option allows you to display all available colors and textures of your inventory.
- Price Comparison. Customers can view multiple products side-by-side. They will also have the ability to add items to their cart without going straight to checkout.
- Integrated Checkout Page. When your customers are ready to make a purchase, they’re directed to an integrated all-in-one checkout page.
- Inventory Tracking. With Volusion, you can also keep track of your inventory to prevent product shortages.
- Deal-of-the-Day Option. Volusion gives you the ability to feature a daily deal item with just a few clicks.
- Integrated Email. Volusion’s software comes with an integrated email system, so you can deliver newsletters and special deals to your customers without needing to utilize a separate program.
- Customer Relationship Management. Your clients can reach you at any time, and the software offers advanced order processing features, so you can get your orders out faster.
- Tracking Tools. With real-time performance data, you can easily and effectively track your business, and you can also create customized reports, tailored to the specific needs of your business.
- Additional Services. Volusion also offers other services and products such as SSL certificates, domain names, and Fraud Score, which helps to identify fraudulent orders before processing begins.
- Security. Volusion is PCI-certified, which means that even your most sensitive data is safe and secure.
- Rapid Load-Time. With their content delivery network, you can be assured that your storefront will load faster than ever before.
- Controlled Access. You can grant access to your store back-end to your team members, and deny it whenever necessary.
- Availability Guarantee. Volusion offers a 99.99% up-time guarantee, where you’ll receive a prorated refund if your storefront isn’t available nearly 24 hours a day.
- Customer Service. Technical support is offered 24/7. You have the option to email, phone, or chat with them for answers to all of your questions. Another key feature is that none of the customer service or technical support is outsourced, but is fully staffed from the Volusion headquarters in Austin, Texas. And rather than featuring a separate FAQ section, question marks are displayed throughout the software, which you can click on to receive helpful advice while working on your setup.
- Research. An extensive selection of educational materials is available, containing thousands of articles on software tips. Additionally, you can access a blog that contains advice on a variety of e-commerce and small business topics.
- Social Media Options. With Volusion, you can also list products on your Facebook page, post directly to your Twitter account, and embed YouTube videos of your inventory.
- Only Good for Product-based Stores. Volusion is not set up to handle serviced-based businesses.
- Template Designs. While there are more than 120 free options to choose from, I found most of them to be rather basic and outdated. They do offer a variety of more professional templates; however, these come with a price tag ranging from $295 to $995.
- Daily Deal Limitations. This feature is only good for product listings that do not come with size and color options.
- No Abandoned Shopping Cart Feature. There are other services with shopping cart options that will track when a customer adds something to their cart, but doesn’t complete the purchase. Volusion does not offer this feature, however.
- Transaction Rates. The transaction rate of 2.17% is a little higher than the industry standard. There are other options that come with no transaction fees, but you’ll pay a higher monthly rate for the service.
All plans come with no setup fees and no transaction fees.
- Steel: 100 product listings, 1GB data transfer. $19 per month.
- Bronze: 500 product listings, 3GB data transfer. $39 per month.
- Silver: 1,000 product listings, 5GB data transfer. $59 per month.
- Gold: 5,000 product listings, 15GB data transfer. $99 per month.
- Platinum: Unlimited product listings, 20GB data transfer. $149 per month.
If you need an even bigger plan, you can schedule a consultation and design a new setup with your expanded needs in mind.
Volusion has served more than 30,000 customers and have been in business since 1999, so they certainly have the experience to give you what you need. When it comes to starting an online business, utilizing an ineffective order and payment processing system can severely damage your sales, and you can lose customers for good.
Volusion’s email marketing feature is something that you won’t find with many other shopping cart websites, so if this is an important feature, check out Volusion. However, if pricing is your priority, there are less expensive options at your disposal.
While Volusion seems to have a few limitations, you can always take advantage of their 14-day free trial to see if it’s right for you.
What are you thoughts on using Volusion for your online e-commerce business?