Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® Credit Card
- Sign-Up Bonus: Earn 30,000 bonus points after $3,000 in eligible purchases during the first 90 days (redeemable for a $300 statement credit toward travel purchases)
- Rewards: Unlimited 1.5x points on eligible purchases for non-Preferred Rewards members
- Benefits: Optional overdraft protection service for Bank of America® deposit account clients; 75% more points for Preferred Rewards for Business Platinum Honors members
- Intro APR: 0% APR on eligible purchases for the first 9 billing cycles, then variable regular APR applies (see terms)
- Annual Fee: $0
- Other Fees: No international transaction fee
The Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® Credit Card is a small business credit card designed for frequent travelers with modest budgets. Like other travel rewards credit cards, it favors spending on most travel purchases, including airfare, hotels, car rentals, and vacation packages. The catch, such as it is: Eligible travel purchases must be made through Bank of America’s in-house travel portal.
That shouldn’t be a dealbreaker. There’s too much else to like about this card, from a decent (but not spectacular) sign-up bonus, to a nice rewards bonus for loyal business clients.
If you’re intrigued by the prospect of a no-annual-fee travel rewards card designed specifically for low-maintenance business travelers, keep reading.
What Sets the Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard Credit Card Apart
The Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards card is an entry-level travel credit card specifically designed for business owners. Its selling points and weaknesses are about what you’d expect from such a product, but there are a few curveballs:
- Solid But Not Spectacular Sign-up Bonus. This card has a solid but not amazing sign-up bonus that’s worth $300 when redeemed for statement credits against prior travel purchases. Hey — with no annual fee to worry about, I’ll take it.
- Good 0% APR Promo. This card’s 0% APR promotional period lasts for 9 months. It applies to purchases only, however.
- Opportunity to Earn Up to 75% More Points. As a Bank of America Business Preferred Rewards member, you can earn up to 75% more points on eligible spend with a qualifying business bank account and minimum balance across all eligible accounts. That bumps this card into the “generous rewards” realm.
- Modest Base Rewards Otherwise. If you’re not a Business Preferred Rewards member, your earning potential is capped at 1.5x points. That’s decidedly mediocre.
Is the Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard Credit Card Legit?
Yes, the Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard Credit Card is legitimate. It’s backed by Bank of America, one of the biggest banks in the world, and used by thousands of small business owners.
This doesn’t mean the Business Advantage Travel Rewards Mastercard is the best business travel card for your particular business. But if you’re concerned that it’s some fly-by-night payment product, rest assured it’s not.
Key Features of the Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard Credit Card
Intrigued? Here’s a closer look at the most important features of the Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard.
As a new Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard cardholder, you’re eligible to earn 30,000 bonus points when you spend at least $3,000 on eligible net purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. That’s worth $300 when redeemed for credits against eligible travel or dining purchases.
Earning Travel Rewards
This card has a simple rewards program. You’ll earn unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all eligible purchases, with no caps or restrictions.
There’s no limit to the total number of points you can earn, and your points don’t expire as long as your account remains open and in good standing. The same goes for points accrued on any employee cards added to your account.
Redeeming Travel Rewards
The best way to redeem your accumulated rewards points is for statement credits against travel purchases made with your card. Virtually all travel purchases are eligible for redemption.
You can redeem for purchases made up to a year prior to the redemption date, subject to limitations, with no blackout dates or general restrictions. Points are worth $0.01 apiece when redeemed for travel credits.
You can also redeem for purchases made directly in the Bank of America Travel Center, as well as for cash and gift cards. Points redeemed for cash back, gift cards, and other non-travel items may be worth less than $0.01 apiece.
Preferred Rewards for Business Program
If you join the Preferred Rewards for Business program, you’ll earn up to 75% more points on all eligible spending. That’s 2.62 points per $1 spent on all eligible purchases. You’ll need a business checking account with bank of America — see the program’s terms and conditions for more details.
Enjoy 0% APR on eligible purchases for the first 9 billing cycles your account is open. After that, variable regular APR applies.
See terms for the latest APR information.
This card has no annual fee or international transaction fees. Cash advances and balance transfers both cost the greater of $10 or 4%, with the exception of overdraft protection cash advances, which cost the greater of $10 or 3% (and require enrollment in the Bank of America® overdraft protection program to qualify for the lower fee).
Overdraft Protection Transfers for Bank of America Deposit Accountholders
Business Advantage Travel Rewards Mastercard cardholders with Bank of America deposit accounts can opt into the bank’s overdraft protection transfer program. After opting in, checking account transactions that would typically result in overdrafts instead trigger a cash advance on your Business Advantage Travel Rewards credit line, allowing the transaction to go through without resulting in a negative balance.
Cash advances occur in increments of $100 (for instance, a $150 overdraft would incur a $200 transfer) and begin accruing interest at the regular cash advance rate right away, so it’s in your best interest to pay them off as soon as possible. The fee is $10 or 3% (whichever is greater) for each transfer.
Cash Flow Management Tools for Business
This card comes with some useful business cash flow management tools, including:
- Automatic online payment
- QuickBooks integration
- Transaction categorization and tracking
Mastercard-Backed Cardholder Benefits
This card also has a slew of Mastercard-backed benefits, most of which cost nothing out of pocket (though some may incur third-party fees). The most noteworthy include lost luggage replacement, emergency ticket replacement, trip cancellation coverage, and travel accident insurance.
This card requires excellent credit.
Advantages of the Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard Credit Card
These are the most notable advantages of the Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard.
- Very Good Sign-up Bonus. This card’s sign-up bonus is worth $300 when redeemed for a statement credit against eligible travel purchases. That’s in line with or better than other no-annual-fee business rewards credit cards.
- No Annual Fee or Fee for Additional Employee Cards. The Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® Credit Card has no annual fee for the primary cardholder, nor for secondary (employee) cardholders That’s great news for frugal travelers who simply can’t rack up points fast enough to offset a recurring charge – and cardholders who (rightfully) aim to maximize their net return on spending.
- Solid Baseline Earning Rate. All eligible spending earns 1.5 points per $1 spent, a 1.5% rate of return on spending. That’s a solid baseline for the no-annual-fee category, where 1% baselines are common.
- Overdraft Protection for Bank of America® Account Holders. If you’re an existing Bank of America® deposit account holder, you can opt into this card’s overdraft protection cash advance scheme for (relatively) low-cost insurance against checking account overdrafts. Bank of America® is one of the few credit card issuers that bothers to offer this perk.
- Boost Earning Potential As a Preferred Rewards Member. Join the Bank of America Preferred Rewards program (with an eligible business checking account) to earn up to 75% bonus points on eligible purchases. That’s an earn rate of up to 2.62 points per $1 spent.
- No International Transaction Fee. This card never charges fees on international transactions. If you regularly travel internationally, you’ll save anywhere from 2% to 3% on international-denominated overseas spending relative to competitor cards.
Disadvantages of the Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard Credit Card
Consider these drawbacks before you apply for the Business Advantage Travel Reawrds card.
- No Way for Non-Preferred Rewards Members to Earn More Than 1.5x Points on Everyday Purchases. While this card’s baseline cash-back rate is solid, it’s made less appealing by the fact that it’s effectively a cap on earnings for non-Preferred Rewards members. If you’d like to earn more than 1.5x on everyday purchases and don’t want to open a business bank account with the requisite minimum balance at Bank of America, look to an alternative like the Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card. s.
- Redemption Could Be More Flexible. This card’s redemption scheme isn’t as flexible as it could be. If you’re fine with redeeming for travel credits only, you won’t find much to complain about. If, on the other hand, you’re looking for competitive-rate cash back redemptions or a wide array of merchandise on offer, you’re bound to be disappointed.
How the Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard Credit Card Stacks Up
Before you apply for the Bank of America Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard Credit Card, compare it against at least one other no-annual-fee business credit card. Our suggestion: the Chase Ink Business Unlimited Credit Card.
|Business Advantage Travel Rewards
|Ink Business Unlimited
|1.5x points on all eligible purchases
|1.5% cash back on all eligible purchases
|Bonus Rewards for Loyalty?
|Yes, up to 75% more for Business Preferred Rewards members
|0% APR Promo
|On purchases for 9 months from account opening
|On purchases for 12 months from account opening
|Employee Card Fee
The Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® Credit Card is a great card for frugal business travelers prepared to forgo luxe perks and conveniences for the promise of low fees, sensible rewards, and no interest on purchases for 9 billing cycles from account opening.
If that sounds like you, I’d highly recommend taking a closer look at this card. If you’re more keen on traveling in style or racking up eye-popping sign-up bonuses, maybe this isn’t the card for you – and that’s okay. The world is filled with enticing business travel credit cards, and I’m willing to bet one is calling your name. Here’s to finding it!