When the first Kohl’s department store opened in my city, it failed to capture my attention. They have very few signs outside, and it was years before I even knew what kind of store it was. Finally, curiosity got the best of me and I eventually decided to see what they had to offer.
At first glance, Kohl’s seems like your typical department store. But once I poked around a bit, I realized that this is a department store with fantastically low prices. I quickly became a regular customer.
Recently, I found out that I could increase my savings even more by applying for a Kohl’s charge card. And just as Kohl’s is no ordinary department store, their card is no ordinary charge card.
Aside from the easy sign up and fast approval process, the card offers a number of perks. Below are some of the ways you could benefit from being a Kohl’s cardholder.
Kohl’s Charge Card Benefits
- No Annual Fee. This one speaks for itself. Kohl’s will not charge you any kind of annual fee for being a card member.
- Sign Up Bonus. If you sign up online, you will get a coupon good for 10% off your next purchase. If you sign up in-store, you get 15% off your current purchase.
- Monthly Discounts. Card members receive exclusive monthly discounts ranging from 15%, all the way up to 30%.
- Most Valued Customer Program. If you spend $600 or more per year on your card, you get to select an additional six days throughout the year to enjoy exclusive savings. Basically, you get to choose your own personal sale days. Additionally, MVC members receive a monthly newsletter which includes even more ways to save.
- Flyer Discounts. Another benefit of being a Kohl’s charge card owner is that, from time to time, you’ll get a coupon in the mail that is good for $10 off any purchase of $10 or more. I love these! Each time I get one, I stop by my local Kohl’s, pick out about $12 worth of clothes for my son (usually a shirt and a pair of pants), and end up paying about three bucks total for it.
Savings Add Up
You may be thinking that these card member benefits don’t have much of a “wow factor.” However, the biggest benefits lie in the ability to get creative with your savings. Here are the two best ways to save with your Kohl’s charge card.
1. Stackable Savings
All of the coupons and discounts you get are “stackable.” This means that you can use as many of them as you want on a single purchase.
For instance, let’s say you go into Kohl’s planning to spend around $100. You see signs stating that they’re having a 30% off sale for card members. If you choose to sign up for the charge card that day, you will receive the 30% off plus an additional 15% just for signing up! Take those percentages off of your total amount, and you’re only spending $55 for $100 worth of stuff.
2. Amazing Clearance
Another fantastic way to take advantage of the stackable savings is in Kohl’s tremendous clearance section. Markdowns on quality merchandise, both online and in store, run as high as 70%. I check these clearance sections regularly, and with great success. Using coupons in combination with clearance pricing, I recently purchased a few Dockers plaid button-down flannel shirts for $5.88 apiece. Six bucks for a shirt that normally retails around $25 is pretty hard to beat.
In short, the Kohl’s charge card offers a number of ways for you to save some serious cash. The question remains, however, is it the right choice for you?
Keep in mind that despite the many benefits, there are also a few less-than-attractive features to the Kohl’s charge card which may be enough reason for you to say no to retail store credit cards. Here are some things to think about:
- Charge Card, Not Credit Card. The card can only be used at Kohl’s, and since it’s a charge card and not a credit card, you cannot transfer balances.
- High APR. The APR on the card is 21.9% for any unpaid balance, so I’d think twice about signing up for it unless you’re absolutely sure that you can pay the balance in full each month.
- No Rewards. The Kohl’s card does not have any rewards program associated with it (other than the discounts that you get).
- Low Spending Limit. I have excellent credit, yet I was only approved for a limit $700. So don’t expect a high spending limit if you decide to sign up.
Remarkably, even the drawbacks can actually be used to your advantage. Since this is not a credit card, you can’t use it everywhere, and therefore won’t be tempted to pull it out every time you’re pressed for cash.
The high APR and low spending limit will motivate you to keep the balance low and pay it off every month. Finally, while the Kohl’s charge card may not offer the same kinds of rewards as traditional credit cards, it has the potential to save you money – which is a reward in and of itself.
The Kohl’s charge card is a great way to boost the already fantastic savings offered both in-store and online. As long as you make sure to pay off your balance each month and use the card wisely, you can reap the benefits of unbeatable coupon and clearance deals. They’ll never charge you an annual fee, and will reward you with additional savings the more you spend. With all these factors going for it, this is one card that is a must have for your wallet if you frequently buy quality clothing on a budget at Kohl’s.
Do you have a Kohl’s charge card? If so, what are some of the positive and negative experiences that you’ve had with it?Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airline, or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, not those of the bank, credit card issuer, airline, or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.