Have you ever visited your favorite department store or electronics retailer in your pajamas? Of course, you have not – though online shopping can indeed afford you this comfort. In addition to the convenience, online shopping can, in some cases, offer a greater selection of sizes than retailers have displayed on their racks, as well as phenomenal deals not available at brick-and-mortar stores.
However, if you’re shopping at online retail stores to take advantage of great deals and save some cash, you don’t want to cut into (or even eliminate) your savings by racking up hefty shipping fees. Some retailers offer a flat rate for shipping, while others charge various amounts depending on how much you spend..
Fortunately, several online retail stores offer outstanding free shipping options. Some require the usage of free shipping codes, and others are automatically calculated when you check out. There are often restrictions – not all ship outside of the continental U.S. for free, and you sometimes need to purchase a certain minimum amount of merchandise. But if you’re in the market for new tech gadgets, trendy clothes, or beauty products – in addition to select other items – you may be able to find what you’re looking for from the following free shipping stores and have it sent for free.
Free Shipping Deals From Online Retailers
- Products: A wide variety of items from Amazon and other sellers. The available-to-order offerings include books, MP3s, digital games, grocery items, baby toys, and automotive parts.
- Shipping Savings: Amazon offers several ways to save on shipping. Its Super Saver shipping method waives mailing costs for orders of eligible Amazon.com products that total more than $25 – keep an eye out for the “eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping” mention next to an item’s price to qualify. You also must select the “Group my items into as few shipments as possible” option when asked for your shipping preference. Orders arrive within five to eight business days after shipping. You can also sign up for a $119 Amazon Prime one-year membership (or $12.99/month) to receive Amazon’s free two-day shipping, which includes almost all addresses in the continental U.S., or free standard shipping, which applies to addresses in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico and takes three to seven business days. Amazon offers a trial period for Amazon Prime. Users can test it for a month and either keep using the membership and be charged the annual fee, or cancel the service altogether.
- Products: Although Zappos was launched in 1999 as an online retail store that only sold shoes, the retailer also now offers clothing (including designer duds), handbags, and other items.
- Shipping Savings: Free shipping (and free returns) for all domestic orders. There’s no minimum order size, and items ship quickly, as the site estimates all orders are received within four to five business days.
- Products: The department store Kohl’s sells men’s, women’s, kids’, and teens’ clothing, plus furniture and other home items.
- Shipping Savings: Free standard (ground) shipping with a $75 or greater purchase within the U.S. Items are in transit three to seven business days. Surcharges may be added for heavy or large items, and if there is an extra charge, it appears on the product page on the Kohl’s site.
- Products: Piperlime sells shoes, handbags, clothing, and accessories.
- Shipping Savings: Free shipping and returns within the U.S. and official U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico. There is no minimum purchase, and items arrive within three to five business days. Returns need to be made within 30 days of purchase.
5. Blue Nile
- Products: Fine jewelry, including diamonds, engagement rings, and other bright baubles.
- Shipping Savings: Free shipping, via FedEx, on orders within the U.S. and ones sent to 43 other countries. Orders under $250 are sent FedEx Ground, which, depending on your location, FedEx estimates will take one to five days to ship; orders ranging $250 to $1,000 are sent via FedEx two-day shipping; orders of more than $1,000 are sent overnight through FedEx.
6. Mod Cloth
- Products: Vintage-themed dresses, shirts, and other duds.
- Shipping Savings: Order more than $50 of unique apparel from this site and you’ll get free shipping that takes four to nine days (plus one to three business days for processing) within the continental U.S. You can also qualify for free shipping if you live in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or another U.S. territory – however, shipping takes longer.
- Products: Makeup and skin and hair styling and treatment products from a variety of companies.
- Shipping Savings: Ulta frequently offers free shipping for orders $25 and over – you can obtain it by entering a code listed on the site. If you’re concerned about missing any promotions, sign up to receive periodic emails from Ulta. You’ll need to live in the continental U.S., Hawaii, or U.S. territories. Items are sent via standard ground UPS and USPS shipping, and arrive in 2 to 10 business days. Ulta also sometimes offers free samples and other items when you order online.
- Products: Skincare and haircare products, makeup, and other items from various beauty companies, as well as Sephora’s own line.
- Shipping Savings: Free three-day shipping on orders in the U.S. that are more than $50. Canadian orders do not qualify. Allow one extra day for Sephora to process the order. You can also return items for free using the merchandise return label included in your order, or you can simply return your items to a physical Sephora location.
- Products: All of Apple’s most popular products – including iPads, iPhones, and computers – plus accessories such as cases and chargers.
- Shipping Savings: Free U.S. ground shipping on orders that are more than $50. Items are delivered within five business days. You can also order a product online and arrange to pick it up at the nearest Apple Store to avoid shipping costs.
- Products: Desktop and laptop computers, HDTVs, software, and other items.
- Shipping Savings: Free U.S. ground shipping on orders that total more than $49 – just add the items to your cart, and your shipping will automatically be waived during checkout. However, printers do not qualify for the offer, and according to Dell.com, it’s a limited time offer, so the bargain might not be offered forever.
- Products: Electronics ranging from digital cameras to appliances.
- Shipping Savings: A blue cube denotes the items on Abt.com that qualify for free shipping when you spend $25. The deal is only good for orders in the continental U.S., therefore excluding Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, and other territories.
- Products: This cost-conscious retailer sells everything from patio furniture, to women’s clothing, to TVs.
- Shipping Savings: Items marked as being eligible for free shipping can be purchased and sent via standard three to five business day shipping for no charge if you spend more than $50. If you have a Target REDcard, you can also qualify for free standard shipping if you use it on a Target.com purchase that’s being sent somewhere in the U.S., including Puerto Rico.
In addition to those retailers, several sites can also help you track down limited-time offers of free shipping and other deals:
- FreeShipping.org: This site connects shoppers with thousands of coupons, promotional codes, and other discounts at more than 4,000 stores.
- RetailMeNot: The savings-based site also serves as a central location for promo codes and other discounts at major retailers like Kohl’s and The Children’s Place.
With a little research, you can find online retail stores that are selling the items you want with free shipping. Just be sure to read the fine print to make sure your purchases will qualify. And if you can bundle your purchase with other items or spend a certain amount, you may be able to avoid spending a penny more than you would have if you’d found the item in a brick-and-mortar store.
What other tips can you suggest to score free shipping on retail products?