Since their inception, gift cards have become quite popular. Buying a gift card is much easier than shopping for an actual gift and allows the recipient to choose something that he or she really wants. However, if you’re not lucky enough to get a generic-type card that is good anywhere (i.e. best gift cards to give), what are you supposed to do with unwanted gift cards for places where you don’t, or wouldn’t, spend your money?
Well, I have great news for you. A website called Plastic Jungle will solve your problem. At Plastic Jungle, you can sell your unwanted gift cards, and you can also buy gift cards at a discount. The payout for sold gift cards can be as much as 92% of the value of the card.
I’ve received more than a few gift cards that I had no interest in redeeming. Rather than buy something I don’t want or need, or worse letting the gift cards expire, I’ve used Plastic Jungle with great success to get the cash I need.
How It Works
The process is pretty simple if you’re looking to sell your unwanted gift cards:
- For any of your unwanted gift cards, enter the name of the merchant and the amount on the card. If you’re not sure of how much is left on it, they will verify this for you. Once you enter in this information, the next screen will tell you how much you can get for your card.
- You have several payout options including Amazon gift card, Paypal, and check. The Amazon gift card option usually pays out more than the others. After you’ve made your selection, you will have to enter your name and address so they know where to send your money.
- Then, enter in the number on the gift card and the PIN if there is one, so they can verify the balance on the card.
- After that, simply follow the shipping instructions.
And that’s it! You are guaranteed to receive your payout in less than two weeks. During my experiences with the site, the payout is generally much faster than that.
Features and Benefits
There are a lot of advantages to using Plastic Jungle. In addition to having an outlet for unwanted gift cards, you also have the ability to buy gift cards as well. Some gift cards are sold at a discount of up to thirty percent. Keep Plastic Jungle in mind if you ever need to buy a gift card for someone.
Also, another tip is to save money at your favorite retailers by buying gift cards at Plastic Jungle for personal use. For example, my son and I love to eat at California Pizza Kitchen. On Plastic Jungle, I’ve purchased gift cards to that restaurant at a 10% discount. In addition to all the other great ways to save money when eating out, I now have a built in 10% discount every time I go to CPK.
Some of the other features and benefits of Plastic Jungle are:
- Free shipping (both ways) – Plastic Jungle pays for you to ship your unwanted card to them, and you don’t pay a shipping fee on the payment they send to you.
- Simple Process – As outlined above, you can complete your transactions in as little as a few minutes.
- Payout Options – Get your money in cash sent directly to you, through PayPal (a faster alternative), or improve your redemption amount by taking it in the form of an Amazon gift card.
- Safe and Secure Transactions – Everything on the site is safe, secure, and guaranteed.
- Electronic Option – Some of the gift cards that they offer for sale can actually be sent to you electronically – they just send you the redemption code that you can use online.
- Option to Donate – In addition to all the other redemption options, you can also choose to donate your unwanted gift card to an organization or charity of your choice.
- Gift Card Replacement Protection – Plastic Jungle offers gift card replacement protection for damaged or invalid gift cards.
Plastic Jungle vs. The Competition
Just to see how Plastic Jungle stacks up with the competition, I’ve done a little price comparison. I currently have a gift card for a particular retailer that I will not be using. The value of the gift card is $50.
I entered in my information on Plastic Jungle, and received the following quote: $36.75 in cash, or $38.33 as an Amazon gift card. Then, I went to one of their competitors and entered in the same information. However, their offer was $35 in cash and $36.50 on an Amazon gift card.
Plastic Jungle beat them by over 4%. The savings won’t be huge for me, but if you have multiple gift cards to sell, or gift cards with large balances, I’d say you’d definitely benefit from using Plastic Jungle over other similar sites out there.
It was difficult to find anything negative or unattractive about Plastic Jungle. However, one thing that I did notice is that the minimum amounts on gift cards for sale are a little high. So, if you need a smaller gift for someone and just want to get them a $25 gift card, your choices at Plastic Jungle are fairly limited.
Also, something to be aware of: any gift card that you want to sell must have a balance of at least $25. They do not accept gift cards with any less than $25.
I have used Plastic Jungle several times in the past and have always been satisfied with my experience. Their process is fast and easy, and everything is safe, secure, and guaranteed. And, they seem to clearly beat the competition.
So now, instead of being stuck with a gift card for a place you’d never go to or buy from, you have a way to get what you really want.
Have you had any direct experience with Plastic Jungle? Feel free to share your comments below.