As a savvy consumer, you’re no doubt aware dozens of banks and credit unions entice new business with account-opening promotions. Some reward first-time customers with bonuses worth hundreds of dollars just for opening an account and making qualifying deposits. The best land on our regularly updated roundup of the top new bank account promotions.
You’ve probably seen credit card issuers get in on the action too. Many of the best cash-back credit cards and travel rewards credit cards come with irresistible welcome offers, the best of which rival the most generous new bank account promotions.
If it’s been years since you switched brokerages or you’re entirely new to investing, you might be unaware America’s top self-directed and managed investment platforms also offer impressive new-account bonuses. Top-tier new brokerage account promotions dwarf the leading bank and credit card promotions — promising thousands to new customers bringing substantial assets to the table.
Best New Brokerage Account Promotions (September 2020)
These are the best new brokerage account promotions for this month. All are subject to change, so check back often for updates.
Open a new Robinhood account and to get up to $200 in free stock. Here’s how it works:
- Apply for a new Robinhood brokerage account and get approved.
- Robinhood adds 1 free share of stock worth between $2.50 and $200 per share, chosen randomly from its inventory of settled shares.
- You can hold the share indefinitely or sell it after 2 trading days.
Bear in mind that you may not receive the same stock as other applicants and your share’s value may fluctuate with market movements.
Open a new Acorns account using the link below to earn a $5 credit. It’s that simple — no minimum deposit or balance required. You’ll receive the credit after completing your account registration.
Open a BlockFi Interest Account by Sept. 25, 2020, and make qualifying deposit(s) to earn a crypto bonus (USDC) worth up to $250. The bonus tiers are as follows:
- $25: Deposit $500 to 999 in new funds.
- $50: Deposit $1,000 to 4,999 in new funds.
- $100: Deposit $5,000 to $9,999 in new funds.
- $250: Deposit $10,000 or more in new funds.
To be eligible for this promotion, your qualifying deposit must be your first-ever deposit in the BlockFi Interest Account and you must maintain a balance of at least $500 through Dec. 14, 2020. You must also have a valid promo code or email offer to be eligible. If you meet all qualifying requirements, you’ll receive your bonus on Dec. 15, 2020.
Open a new self-directed account with Ally Invest by December 31, 2020, and make a qualifying deposit of new money or assets to earn up to $3,500 bonus cash. The bonus thresholds are:
- $50: Deposit $10,000 to $24,999 in new funds or assets.
- $200: Deposit $25,000 to $99,999 in new funds or assets.
- $300: Deposit $100,000 to $249,999 in new funds or assets.
- $600: Deposit $250,000 to $499,999 in new funds or assets.
- $1,200: Deposit $500,000 to $999,999 in new funds or assets.
- $2,500: Deposit $1,000,000 to $1,999,999 in new funds or assets.
- $3,500: Deposit $2,000,000 or more in new funds or assets.
To qualify for the bonus, you must fund the account within 60 days of opening. Once Ally Invest credits the bonus to the account, the combined bonus and qualifying deposit (less any trading losses) must remain in the account for 300 days. Otherwise, Ally Invest reserves the right to revoke the bonus.
Deposited funds must come from accounts that aren’t Ally or Ally subsidiary accounts. You must fund the new account with a minimum qualifying deposit of $10,000 or more to qualify for the minimum cash bonus.
The bonus is available to U.S. residents, excluding current Ally Invest account holders, and Ally Invest account holders who closed their accounts within 90 days of applying.
Separately, Ally Invest credits up to $150 in transfer fees charged by other brokerages when you complete a first-time account transfer totaling $2,500 or more. That credit hits your account within 30 days of the transfer.
5. Citi Wealth Management — Up to $3,500 Cash Bonus
Open a new eligible Citi Personal Wealth Management account by Sept. 30, 2020, and make a qualifying deposit of new money or assets to earn a cash bonus up to $3,500. The bonus thresholds are as follows:
- $500: Deposit $50,000 to $199,999 in new funds or securities.
- $1,000: Deposit $200,000 to $499,999 in new funds or securities.
- $1,500: Deposit $500,000 to $999,999 in new funds or securities.
- $2,500: Deposit $1,000,000 to $1,999,999 in new funds or securities.
- $3,500: Deposit $2,000,000 or more in new funds or securities.
To earn this bonus, you must do the following:
- Open and enroll your new Citi Private Wealth Management account
- Make the qualifying new money deposit within 2 months of account opening
- Enroll the account into e-delivery of statements within 2 months of account opening.
- Maintain the new funding at least through the end of the third month (statement cycle) after account opening.
Eligible funds must be new to Citibank and can’t come from or be combined with funds from any other Citi accounts. This offer is available to new Citi Private Wealth Management clients only.
Open a new M1 Finance account and initiate an account transfer within 60 days to earn a transfer bonus of up to $2,500. The bonus thresholds are:
- $250: Transfer an account worth $100,000 to $250,000.
- $500: Transfer an account worth $250,000.01 to $500,000.
- $1,000: Transfer an account worth $500,000.01 to $1,000,000.
- $2,500: Transfer an account worth more than $1,000,000.01.
Your new M1 Finance account type must match your old account type. The offer isn’t valid on ACH deposits, wire transfers or direct 401k rollovers. Once the transfer is received, you’ll receive payment within 90 days.
Open and fund a new Webull account with at least $100 to get 2 free stocks with a combined value up to $1,650. Or, transfer funds or assets from an existing brokerage account and receive up to $100 in reimbursed transfer fees. Here’s how these promotions work:
Account Opening Bonus
Begin your account opening process by Sept. 30, 2020, and finish within 24 hours of starting to receive a free stock valued between $2.50 and $250 per share. The odds of receiving a stock valued at the lower end of this range are very high, but you’re free to sell or hold your stock after the transaction settles.
Make an initial deposit in any amount to your new account to claim a free stock valued between $12 and $1,400 per share. Again, the likelihood of receiving a stock valued on the lower end of this range is very high. Note that deposits may take up to 5 business days to settle.
8. E-Trade — Up to $3,000 Cash Bonus
Open a new E-Trade Securities nonretirement brokerage account by Dec. 31, 2020, to earn up to $3,000 bonus cash. The bonus thresholds are:
- $100: Deposit or transfer $5,000 to $24,999 in new money.
- $200: Deposit or transfer $25,000 to $99,999 in new money.
- $300: Deposit or transfer $100,000 to $249,999 in new money.
- $600: Deposit or transfer $250,000 to $499,999 in new money.
- $1,200: Deposit or transfer $500,000 to $999,999 in new money.
- $3,000: Deposit or transfer $1,000,000 or more in new money.
You must transfer or deposit new funds or securities within 60 days of enrollment. All deposited or transferred funds must come from accounts outside E-Trade and remain in the account (less any trading losses) for at least 12 months.
9. SoFi Invest — Win Up to $1,000 in Free Stock
You could win up to $1,000 in free stock, including fractional shares (Stock Bits), when you download the SoFi Invest app and open an Active Invest account. To earn the bonus, simply fund your account with as little as $1 to start and choose your free stock from more than 100 choices. You’ll receive your free stock shares or Stock Bits within 10 business days.
For more information, read our SoFi review.
Get up to one year managed free when you open a Betterment account and make a qualifying deposit within 45 days. Bonus thresholds are:
- 1 Month Free: Fund your account with $15,000 to $99,999 within the qualification period.
- 6 Months Free: Fund your account with $100,000 to $249,999 within the qualification period.
- 12 Months Free: Fund your account with $250,000 or more within the qualification period.
You can’t combine this offer with any other promotions, and it’s available to U.S. residents only.
11. Charles Schwab — Up to $500 Cash Referral Bonus
Open a new qualifying Charles Schwab account with a qualifying referral from an existing Schwab client to earn a cash bonus of up to $500.
To qualify, ask a friend or family member with a Schwab account to send you their unique referral code. Then use the code to open a new Schwab account with an initial deposit or deposits totaling at least $1,000. Make one or more qualifying deposits within 45 days of your account opening date, and you’ll receive your cash bonus about a week later.
Your bonus amount depends on how much you deposit during the 45-day qualifying period:
- $100: Deposit $1,000 to $24,999 in new money or assets.
- $200: Deposit $25,000 to $49,999 in new money or assets.
- $300: Deposit 50,000 to $99,999 in new money or assets.
- $500: Deposit 100,000 and above in new money or assets.
Once your account is open, monthly fees may apply. Multiple members of the same household may qualify for bonuses individually, as long as they open separate Schwab accounts.
12. Nvstr — Up to $1,000 Cash
Open a new Nvstr account using this link to earn up to $1,000 in cash. There’s no minimum funding threshold or other hoops to jump through — just open your account, and Nvstr rewards you with $10 to $1,000 cash.
There is one catch: Nvstr chooses your reward amount at random, and it’s impossible to predict how much you stand to receive. Once the bonus is in your account, you must make at least one trade within three months and keep the bonus funds on deposit for a full year.
The cash offer is available to new Nvstr users on live trading accounts only. Simulated trading accounts aren’t eligible.
If you’re a satisfied investor, you’d be forgiven for feeling no urgency to switch brokerages. Why fix something that’s not broken?
But the prospect of earning hundreds or thousands of dollars is often reason enough.
Most of these brokerages take pains to ensure their new-account bonuses qualify as easy money. In many cases, moving assets to a newly opened account requires little more than completing an account application and authorizing an electronic funds transfer or asset rollover, a process that’s quick and painless enough to complete in a spare 15 minutes.
Even if you’re not ready to take advantage of these brokerage account bonuses, it still pays to add a review of the top brokerage promotions to your due-diligence to-do list for whenever you’re ready to start investing.
Are you planning to open a new brokerage account? Did any of these promotions convince you to switch?