Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
- Rewards: None
- Intro APR: 0% APR on balance transfers for 12 months from account opening; 0% APR on purchases for 12 months from account opening; then variable regular APR applies, currently 17.24% to 27.99% depending on your creditworthiness and other factors
- Fees: 3% foreign transaction fee
- Annual Fee: $0
- Credit Needed: Good/Excellent
The Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card is a straightforward credit card with no annual fee and a great 0% introductory APR promotion for purchases and balance transfers.
Although it doesn’t offer a sign-up bonus, cash rewards program, or very low APR once the introductory period ends, Citi Diamond Preferred is one of the best options out there for new cardholders who wish to transfer existing high-interest balances from other cards or make large upfront purchases which they can pay off over time without racking up excessive interest charges.
Plus, Diamond Preferred has some cardholder-friendly perks and personalized touches that aren’t available on other no-frills cards.
These are the most important features of the Citi Diamond Preferred Card.
This card has an 21-month 0% APR promotion for balance transfers and a 12-month 0% APR promotion for purchases. Qualifying balance transfers must be made within 4 months of your account opening date.
Following the end of the introductory period, variable regular APR applies — currently 17.24% to 27.99%, depending on prevailing rates and your personal creditworthiness.
There is no annual fee. The foreign transaction fee is 3% of the transaction amount. Balance transfers cost the greater of $5 or 5% of the transferred amount.
Personal Concierge Service
Citi Diamond Preferred has a special level of concierge service that’s available only to Diamond Preferred cardholders. Basically, this is a personalized portal with shorter lines (and more knowledgeable, less overworked personnel) than Citi’s regular service department. There’s a dedicated 800 number and website just for Diamond Preferred members.
Free FICO Score
All Diamond Preferred cardholders are entitled to a complimentary FICO score online. That’s great news for those in the process of building or rebuilding credit.
This card requires good to excellent credit. A few minor blemishes may not disqualify your application, but serious derogatory marks will.
Here’s why the Citi Diamond Preferred Card is a good bet for your spending needs.
- Great Intro APR Promotion for Balance Transfers. Citi Diamond Preferred’s introductory balance transfer promotion is among the longest in the business. The introductory purchase promotion isn’t half bad either. Few other cards combine such a long introductory APR with such generous cardholder perks.
- No Annual Fee. Citi Diamond Preferred doesn’t have an annual fee. That’s great news for budget-conscious cardholders who want to take advantage of the introductory APR promotions and don’t want to cut into the savings they produce.
- Personalized Concierge Service. This card comes with a dedicated concierge portal that’s available only to Diamond Preferred cardholders. That’s a rare benefit for no-annual-fee cards – you typically have to shell out annual fees approaching $100 (and sometimes much higher) to get high-touch, personalized service of this nature.
- Low Balance Transfer Fee. Citi Diamond Preferred has a fairly low balance transfer fee: the greater of $5 or 3% of the transferred amount. That’s low relative to some competitors, which can charge a minimum of $10 on smaller transfers or 5% of the transferred amount.
Consider these downsides before applying for Citi Diamond Preferred.
- No Rewards. Citi Diamond Preferred doesn’t offer cash back or travel rewards. For applicants seeking a top-notch 0% introductory APR promotion for balance transfers, this is unlikely to be a major hurdle. However, applicants who value rewards and great interest rates in equal measure are likely to think twice before applying for this card. For these folks, the American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card or Chase Freedom Card are probably better fits.
- No Sign-up Bonus. Citi Diamond Preferred lacks a sign-up bonus. That’s a big downside relative to competing cards with solid intro APR promotions.
- Has a Foreign Transaction Fee. Citi Diamond Preferred’s 3% foreign transaction fee is a big downside for foreign travelers, particularly those who leave the United States frequently. If this is a big issue for you, consider competitors such as Capital One Quicksilver and Discover it.
- Has a Penalty APR. This card charges penalty interest on past-due balances. This is a drawback for cardholders who occasionally miss payments – particularly in light of the fact that Citi Simplicity, its stablemate, doesn’t charge penalty interest.
For a no-annual-fee card, the Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card is pretty exclusive. Unlike some competing cards, it holds applicants to high credit standards.
There’s a method to Citi’s madness though. This is one of the few no-annual-fee cards with on-demand concierge service – a huge benefit when you need immediate help. And that’s not even the best thing about Citi Diamond Preferred. This card’s long 0% APR balance transfer promotion is among the best in the business, and its purchase promotion isn’t bad either.
If you seek awesome service and the ability to finance big purchase or transfer high-interest balances without breaking the bank, you’d be hard-pressed to do better.
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
The Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card is an excellent option if you need to transfer high-interest balances from existing cards or finance large purchases during the first few months of card ownership. That is, as long as you can pay down your purchases or transfers before the introductory APR period expires.
Diamond Preferred is also a great option for cardholders who appreciate luxury perks and value-added benefits, but don’t want to pay an annual fee for the privilege. However, Diamond Preferred is not a good option for people who have less than excellent credit, nor those who appreciate cash back or travel rewards.