About · Press · Contact · Write For Us · Top Personal Finance Blogs
Featured In:

How to Pay IRS Taxes – Online, Check or Credit Card

By Kira Botkin

pay taxes aprilAs we head towards the April tax filing deadline in the U.S., hopefully you’re working on your calculations or have everything completed by now. If you’ve gotten your total and see that you owe the IRS some money, don’t fret! There are many ways to get the IRS what you owe them in a timely manner.

Make sure that you’re confident of your calculations because the IRS will only allow two payments per year for taxes owed on a 1040 tax form, unless they send you a letter notifying you that you still owe money.

Here are three ways to pay Uncle Sam the taxes that you owe.

3 Ways to Pay Your Taxes

1. Pay by Credit or Debit Card

Don’t pay with just anyone who comes up in a Google search – the IRS has several authorized payment providers for you to choose from. You will have to pay a small fee to use a credit card or debit card, but if you aren’t able to pay your entire tax bill right now (and don’t want to set up a IRS tax┬ápayment plan) using a credit card can be a smart decision. You’ll generally pay a flat fee of about $3.85 to use a debit card, and a percentage of the payment between 1.9% and 2.3% to use a credit card. Below are the authorized companies that the IRS will accept payments from.

[table “9” not found /]

In order to pay your taxes using a credit or debit card, you’ll need to provide your Social Security number or EIN, your mailing address, a phone number, and an email address if you pay online.

2. Pay from Your Bank Account

If you use any of the major tax preparation software (e.g. TurboTax, H&R Block, or TaxACT), the program will be able to send the government instructions for directly withdrawing money from your bank account. You aren’t able to do this on an individual basis, however.

The exception is if you choose to pay your taxes using the Electronic Federal Taxpayer Payment System – most individuals who use this system are paying estimated tax payments quarterly online, but it’s free to use. It does take some time to set up an account with this service, so you won’t be able to use it to pay your taxes right away. If you’d like to set this up to pay next year’s taxes, you’ve got plenty of time!

You can pay estimated taxes by check also, using these vouchers. If you’re already enrolled in EFTPS and need to make a same-day wire payment, click here for more information.

3. Pay with a Check

You have two options for paying your taxes with a check: you can either enclose the check with your 1040 tax form when you mail it in (but don’t staple the check to your return!) or you can send the IRS a check directly.

If you don’t have any self-employment income, you can mail your check to these addresses, depending on your state:

[table “10” not found /]

If you do have self-employment income (if you have or will file Schedule C or Schedule F), you will send your check to these addresses:

[table “11” not found /]

If you have an APO or FPO address, or live in Guam, Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands, you’ll use this address:

Internal Revenue Service Center
Kansas City, MO 64999-0202

What If I Can’t Pay?

If you aren’t able to pay your tax balance, you should get in contact with the IRS, through your local taxpayer office or your local taxpayer advocate. They will be able to help you work out a payment plan or other measures to ensure you don’t get overwhelmed with fees and penalties. There are a variety of different ways to help you pay your taxes without resorting to tax evasion fraud.

Final Word

If you owe the government money come tax time, there are plenty of ways to send it to them including credit or debit card, a check, or in some cases, a direct draft from your bank account. While it may be a bummer that you owe, at least it’s pretty painless to send it in!

Did you end up having to pay taxes this year? What method did you utilize and how easy or difficult was the process?

(photo credit: Shutterstock)

Kira Botkin
Kira is a longtime blogger and serial entrepreneur who enjoys gardening, garage sales, and finding stray animals. She lives in Columbus, Ohio, where football is a distinct season, and by day runs a research study for people with multiple sclerosis. She hopes that the MoneyCrashers team can help you achieve your goals and live a great life.

Related Articles

  • Al

    can you write out payment check to U.S. Treasury?

    • Kira Botkin

      Yes, you address the check to United States Treasury.

  • Luxple

    Internal Revenue Service Center
    Kansas City, MO 64999-0202
    what is the detail address? we will ship a check from China? thanks.

  • http://profile.yahoo.com/NOP75RDB4C4CUZVHEREQ5SJTUI Douglas Montgomery

    The feds are still in the last century on tax payments. I can pay my California estimated state tax in 5 minutes while traveling. To pay the feds, I have to pay an $83. convenience fee, which means the feds don’t get paid until I get home.

  • Shawn Ryan

    Can you use Money Order to pay tax?

The content on MoneyCrashers.com is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as professional financial advice. Should you need such advice, consult a licensed financial or tax advisor. References to products, offers, and rates from third party sites often change. While we do our best to keep these updated, numbers stated on this site may differ from actual numbers. We may have financial relationships with some of the companies mentioned on this website. Among other things, we may receive free products, services, and/or monetary compensation in exchange for featured placement of sponsored products or services. We strive to write accurate and genuine reviews and articles, and all views and opinions expressed are solely those of the authors.

Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from credit card companies from which MoneyCrashers.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site, including, for example, the order in which they appear on category pages. MoneyCrashers.com does not include all credit card companies or all available credit card offers, although best efforts are made to include a comprehensive list of offers regardless of compensation. Advertiser partners include American Express, U.S. Bank, and Barclaycard, among others.