Advertiser Disclosure

Advertiser Disclosure: The credit card offers that appear on this site are from credit card companies from which may receive compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site, including, for example, the order in which they appear on category pages. does not include all credit card companies or all available credit card offers, although best efforts are made to include a comprehensive list of offers regardless of compensation. Advertiser partners include American Express, Chase, U.S. Bank, and Barclaycard, among others.


Dig Deeper


Become a Money Crasher!
Join our community.

All You Need to Know About Your W-2 and What To Do If You Don’t Receive It

Here are some great tips about your W-2 from JK Lasser. Your W-2 is the most important tax document that you’ll receive, so don’t lose it! And make sure you’re looking out for it in the mail this week and the next.

Mailboxes and tight waistbands are usually the last reminders of holiday excess. But what’s coming in the mail isn’t all bad news. Arriving with the holiday bills are the Forms 1099 and W-2 that are critical to preparing your tax return and claiming your refund.

Sign up for an account at Simple by 7/31/19 4:59 PM PT and get up to a $500 bonus and 2.02% APY (with qualified activities).

WHO? Employers are required by law to furnish a Form W-2, “Wages and Tax Statement”.

WHAT? Form W-2, “Wages and Tax Statement” is like a receipt that details your wages, various tax payments, and identifies your taxable income. Most importantly, it is your proof you paid your taxes, at least the portion that was withheld by your employer.

WHERE? Forms W-2 (and 1099’s) are sent to your last known address. If it is missing and you have moved recently, check with new occupants of your old residence or local post office.

WHY? Without Form W-2 you will not be able to complete your tax return and claim your refund.

WHEN? By January 31, 2008 (if mailed allow a few days for delivery).

So, what do you do if your employer went out of business, lost information in a disaster or simply refuses to comply with the law? Believe or not the IRS will be your best resource.

It’s February 15th and my W-2 hasn’t arrived, now what?

Taxpayers still waiting by the mailbox by February 15th should call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. After supplying information about your employer, date of employment and an estimate of wages earned and taxes paid. The IRS will help locate and contact a delinquent employer. After which the IRS will help taxpayers complete a Form 4852 Substitute Form W-2.

Check the Forms and W-2’s
Verify that your name, address, and Social Security number are correct. If the information doesn’t match what you enter the return will be altered, filing status may be changed and refund refigured by the IRS.

Newly Married or Divorced?

Contact the Social Security Administration to make a name change official. The name and number on file must match when you file.

Paperwork for Speedier Tax Prep
Specific paperwork is required in order to claim certain deductions and credits and compute those deductions and credits. So, if you haven’t already….

Contact charities for a written acknowledgements or receipts if you made cash donations in any denomination or donations of property of $250 or more. Contact your daycare provider for their tax identification information that is required to claim the dependent care credit. Check your investment records. Don’t overlook small amounts of interest income or forget about losses that can shelter gain and sometimes ordinary income from taxation.
Important Forms 1099 include:

1099-INT for Interest income

1099-B Proceeds from the sale of securities

1099-DIV- Qualified and non-qualified dividends

1099-SSA-Social Security earnings and

1099-R-Distributions from IRAs, pensions, and annuities.

Good Luck, this tax season. Every tax season that passes by, makes me like the idea of the Fair Tax. I know there’s so much controversy about it and it’s a nice idea that would never work, but anything that would wipe out the IRS, seems like a good thing to me.

Erik Folgate
Erik and his wife, Lindzee, live in Orlando, Florida with a baby boy on the way. Erik works as an account manager for a marketing company, and considers counseling friends, family and the readers of Money Crashers his personal ministry to others. Erik became passionate about personal finance and helping others make wise financial decisions after racking up over $20k in credit card and student loan debt within the first two years of college.

Next Up on
Money Crashers

Amazon Prime Day Coming Soon

Amazon Prime Day 2019: How to Get the Best Deals

What is Amazon Prime Day? It's a day-long (or longer) extravaganza of exclusive deals for Amazon Prime members. During this sales-fest, the world’s biggest retailer will slash prices on a wide variety of items — some of them by as much as 50%. To get the most out of Prime Day, it pays to plan ahead — researching deals, deciding what to buy, and keeping track of when sales pop up. By preparing for Prime Day in advance, you can get the most for your money with minimal hassle.
Six Figure Income Jobs

11 High Paying Six-Figure Jobs Without a College Degree

While many aspire to go to college after high school, not everyone can, or should, head straight to university. Family issues, a lack of...

Latest on
Money Crashers

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

See why 218,388 people subscribe to our newsletter.

What Do You Want To Do
With Your Money?